• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Only the ghost left!

Hi - Just photographed this lesser twayblade to complete my English list - thanks Steff and all the others who have helped me on my way - 50 years ago a lady called Olive showed me my first Bee orchid - 10 years ago set off on a mission to see how many I could photograph and have now managed all the English ones

the twayblade was in Cumbria and was the last one in a half decent condition out of 6 flowering and a number of non flowering -

Attachments

• LTWAY small.jpg
    LTWAY small.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 105
  • lesser twayblade 3 small.jpg
    lesser twayblade 3 small.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm off to South Wales on Friday to pick up my daughter from Uni. I was thinking of stopping off en route at Kenfig Nature Reserve to have a look at the various orchids there. Will the Fen Orchid's still be in flower there and if so then where should I look? What else might I expect there at this time of year and again where would I find them?

I'm also happy to look at any non-orchid flora so if there are any other local specialities then I'd be interested to hear about them.

TIA

Adam

Hi - Just photographed this lesser twayblade to complete my English list - thanks Steff and all the others who have helped me on my way - 50 years ago a lady called Olive showed me my first Bee orchid - 10 years ago set off on a mission to see how many I could photograph and have now managed all the English ones

the twayblade was in Cumbria and was the last one in a half decent condition out of 6 flowering and a number of non flowering -

WP_20170615_12_24_27_Pro (2) - Copy.jpg

I'm so sorry, I thought you were going this Thursday or I would have sent you a PM as I found at least 20 flowering plants spread over two different areas (lots and lots of non-flowering and many with the flower eaten off, just a stem remaining), but today is the first time I've been able to access my laptop to post photos, although I can't beat yours as my camera isn't good enough - so I'll stick with this one - a three-leaved Lesser Twayblade. I'm so pleased for you having completed your list.
Thanks to Dave, who helped me with this site.

Last edited:
Cumbrian Small Whites

Hi
anyone have any luck with the small whites in Cumbria this year? - I drew a blank - lots of Northern marsh, fragrants, a few common spotted - including a patch of very annoying small white ones which I kept re-finding! - no cages either this year looked in the areas where\I had found them 2 years ago but could not find any.

Philip

Did my annual visit with a Sixth Form field trip to Ainsdale yesterday - lots more Pyramidal noted than usual, Early Marsh past their best, but Northern Marsh looking good. No Bees or Helleborines noted at all.

Dark red helleborines

I read on twitter that dark red helleborines were starting to flower. Any updates over the next week would be appreciated, especially from Bishop Middleham.

Every year I plan to go but never quite do it. Hopefully this year.

Thanks

Gareth

Gbo

At a well known site on the Shropshire Powys border we took a different route to previous visits and came across a mass of some 30 GBOs. Eleswhere they were still in flower, but these had all gone over. But I know where to go next year!

Attachments

• llyn2017gbomany.jpg
    llyn2017gbomany.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 96
Dark Reds Cumbria / Lancs

Hi

DRs flowering well at Lady Slipper site

Had no luck with finding any late flowering CRs at Barrow but loads of northern, early marsh common spotted and hybrids - plus the odd bee - however did not see any signs of Dunes coming along.

Philip

Attachments

• DRH2 small.jpg
    DRH2 small.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DRH3small.jpg
    DRH3small.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 107
Small white orchids

On 6 June 2015 I went to see a great display of lesser twayblades on the brow of a hill just south of Kirkby Stephen, it must have been the coldest June day I have ever encountered, what a change two years make. I went to the small white site at Asby but found nothing, I think I was too early. Just like ladybee I'm wondering if they are out or even still there? Are there any other sites? It would be my last English orchid and I'm really keen to see it. For family reasons I've been unable to go orchiding the last 18 months but things have now changed, and if anyone had any solid info I would be really grateful.

On 6 June 2015 I went to see a great display of lesser twayblades on the brow of a hill just south of Kirkby Stephen, it must have been the coldest June day I have ever encountered, what a change two years make. I went to the small white site at Asby but found nothing, I think I was too early. Just like ladybee I'm wondering if they are out or even still there? Are there any other sites? It would be my last English orchid and I'm really keen to see it. For family reasons I've been unable to go orchiding the last 18 months but things have now changed, and if anyone had any solid info I would be really grateful.

worry about this site - 2 years ago I found 1 plant amid a lot of cow activity - last year on this forum people could not find any - hope I am wrong they are not easy to spot but did spend quite a bit of searching the area- I believe there are Yorkshire sites still so good luck.

There were 6 flowers on 18 June 2016 when we visited all were in wire cages.
Could not find any in 2015
Have not been there this year
Roger

Hi all, I'm due up in the North East at the end of this coming week to pick up my daughter from Durham University so I thought that I'd take the opportunity to do more on my new-found interest and indulge in a spot of orchid'ing. I'm particularly interested in specialities that I might not see down south so things like:

Northern Marsh Orchid
Narrow-leaved Marsh Orchid
Heath Fragrant Orchid
Bog Orchid
Small White Orchid
Burnt Tip Orchid
Lesser Twayblade
Creeping Lady's Tresses
Dark Red Helleborine
Coralroot Orchid

Now, as I beginner this list might be rather ignorant and I expect that some of those can only be found in Scotland and for some it will be the wrong time of year but any tips on reliable sites for any of these which I might actually be able to see would be much appreciated.

TIA

Adam

Small White in Yorkshire

There are recent reports from a couple of sites in Swaledale, with flowering at the end of June 2012 and in early July 2015. I will pm you details. The only time I have seen this orchid was on 3rd June 2014 at Asby (4 plants).

There were 6 flowers on 18 June 2016 when we visited all were in wire cages.
Could not find any in 2015
Have not been there this year
Roger

The site was absolutely trashed by cattle when I visited last year - all the cages flattened, and the plants grazed off. I know it's common ground, but really the management of the place is going to be the orchids' downfall if that sort of wanton grazing is allowed to happen...

ce

DRH update for Great Orme.
Very few growing down below; best were growing on cliff face 6m or more above solid ground.
On top of the cliffs it seemed a poor year until we found a couple of patches with upwards of 50 plants. Most were young plants without a flower spike but there were some in flower. These tended to be quite small. Others showed rabbit damage.

Steve

Mystery Orchid

Why not X Dactylodenia st-quinitinii, the hybrid between Common Spotted and Chalk Fragrant. This plant was shown to me by heakl (remember him from WAB?) on 6th July 2015 on Sheepscombe Common and has many of the same features as your plant. This one had a strong fragrance, did yours?
Jeff Hodgson

Attachments

• X Dactylodenia st-quintinii Plant.jpg
    X Dactylodenia st-quintinii Plant.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 58
  • X Dactylodenia st-quintinii Spike.jpg
    X Dactylodenia st-quintinii Spike.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back