• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My feeder has become TOO popular - need suggestions (1 Viewer)

PigeonQueen

Crazy Pigeon Lady
Hi all,

I put out a bird feeder out in my yard (this one specifically) about a month ago. It's been getting lots of regular visits from Norther Cardinals, Blue Jays, Black-Capped Chickadees, and various sparrows. Below the feeder, I've also seen Mourning Doves, Common Grackles, Brown-Headed Cowbirds, and Starlings.

It's was going great. They'd all eat and I'd end up having to refill the 5lb feeder...maybe one a week. Then about two weeks ago they cleaned it out in half a week. No big deal, it's a busy time of year I thought... but today...mind you I filled the feeder LAST NIGHT, it's almost empty by dinner time. I love these birds to pieces but I don't know if I can afford to keep it filled with 5lbs of seed on a daily basis :(

I decided to reach out for advice. Here's a few specific questions I had:

For background info, I'm currently using a seed mix of Black Oil Sunflower seed, millet, cracked corn, etc.

1. Is it normal to have feeder activity jump up like that just because of the migration season?

2. Is there a good type of seed I could use that would discourage some of the greedier customers? I'm hoping to find one that doesn't cost a lot more and a bug plus would be a 'no mess' variety? I tried Safflower seed the second time I filled the feeder and it went over fine but it made the same mess I'm struggling with below the feed from the sunflower seeds and it also seems to be more expensive to buy in any sizable quantity (at least here in the US).

3. I'm curious if the amount of seed my birds are eating is 'normal'. Given the size of your feeder(s), how much seed do you go through on a weekly basis?

Thanks everyone in advance for your help!

It's not just migration time, It's breeding season so expect to go through a lot more seed until the parents are finished raising young ones. Which, for some species, it can go on for quite a few months.

Now, are you sure squirrels aren't getting into the feeders and depleting them quickly? That was my big problem until I switched to a feeder that shuts down once their weight hits the feeder. Big difference in my seed cost. I only use 3 types of seed. Black-oiled Sunflower seed, Sunflower hearts and safflower seed. A lot of birds don't like the safflower but the Cardinals, chickadees and Titmouse love it.

Two things, the first is unsuspected squirrels, as already suggested. Don't know what your situation is vis a vis forest, but consider the possibility of flying squirrels if you don't see the diurnal varieties. And as Foggin suggests, consider a SQ proof feeder.

Second thing: how much seed waste are you getting? A lot of birds will toss seed around, or out if they don't like it, and not all if it may appeal to your local ground feeders. Consider reducing the size of the opening(s) in your feeders to see what happens. And watch out that the SQs don't chew them open again.

It's not just migration time, It's breeding season so expect to go through a lot more seed until the parents are finished raising young ones. Which, for some species, it can go on for quite a few months.

Now, are you sure squirrels aren't getting into the feeders and depleting them quickly? That was my big problem until I switched to a feeder that shuts down once their weight hits the feeder. Big difference in my seed cost. I only use 3 types of seed. Black-oiled Sunflower seed, Sunflower hearts and safflower seed. A lot of birds don't like the safflower but the Cardinals, chickadees and Titmouse love it.

Thanks for the feedback KC.

I did suspect squirrels at first. They had been a problem when I first put the feeder out. Shortly after though, I adjusted the positioning out of their jumping range and put a slinky on the pole. I literally have not seen one single successful attempt since then (having kept an eye on it throughout the day on multiple days). So I think it's safe to say that the squirrels have largely given up at the point.

If anything, I suspect the Grackles to be the biggest possibility as they seem to be able to sort of land on it and I think the might be knocking seed to the ground and then eating it from there. I can adjust the perches so for now I'll try pushing them all, all the way in.

I thought about the fact that many of the birds were likely nesting but had wondered if they were actually feeding their chicks from the feeder. I questioned it because I always seem to see the birds just eating their fill and not ever seeming to take the seeds anywhere far.

Two things, the first is unsuspected squirrels, as already suggested. Don't know what your situation is vis a vis forest, but consider the possibility of flying squirrels if you don't see the diurnal varieties. And as Foggin suggests, consider a SQ proof feeder.

Second thing: how much seed waste are you getting? A lot of birds will toss seed around, or out if they don't like it, and not all if it may appeal to your local ground feeders. Consider reducing the size of the opening(s) in your feeders to see what happens. And watch out that the SQs don't chew them open again.

Hi Ruff!

I'm not sure we get flying squirrels around here but I'll look into that.

When I did have a squirrel attacking the feeder, I would see seed ALL OVER the ground. The last few weeks since I applied the above mentioned anti-squirrel methods, the only thing I really see on the ground seems to be husks which leads me to believe that the seed is actually being eaten, not just thrown everywhere. That being said, even if it was being thrown everywhere, it's not impossible that the ground feeding birds Hoover it up before I get home from work.

I keep considering putting a webcam pointed at the feeder for a day or two but I'm trying to talk myself out of being that obsessive XD

Flying squirrels are mainly nocturnal so if they are raiding the feeders it would be at night.

You might try switching one of your feeders to all Safflower and see if that keeps some of the birds away.

Good suggestions about other possible causes. Depending where you are and how your feeder is mounted, raccoons are also a possibility. They can be quite inventive at circumventing a baffle, and are quite dexterous enough to manipulate a feeder to get food.

However, even if the birds, themselves, are the culprits, you could choose to put a day's supply of feed (as determined by how much you want to feed, not by how much would otherwise disappear) in the feeder at a time. Basically, put them on a diet. It's a bit more work to keep the feeder stocked, but you'll still have the birds coming around and won't be spending yourself into the poorhouse.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back