• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Common name of Crawfur...'s hard-to-place Pheasant (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Anyone who know why the debated subspecies Lophura leucomelanos/nycthemera crawfurdii GRAY 1829 is sometimes called either Crawfurt's Kalij Pheasant alt. Crawfurt's Silver Pheasant in English? Why the ending -t, in Mr. Crawfurd's surname ... ?!? It´s also found in the French name Faisan argenté de Crawfurt ... why?

The OD itself (here) clearly states: "Crawfurd's Pheasant, Phasianus Crawfurdii" (even if no out-spoken dedication, more than the mere mentioning of a certain "Mr. Crawfurd").

In Swedish zoological parks this subspecies is called either "Crawfurds kalijfasan" or simply "Crawfurds kalij". And I find no reason what-so-ever to question that spelling!

Today's HBW Alive Key explain this eponym as:
● Dr John Crawfurd (1783-1868) British Army surgeon, orientalist, administrator of Singapore 1823, envoy to Siam and Burma (syn. Dryocopus javensis, subsp. Lophura nycthemera, syn. Rhopodytes sumatranus).
... which, to me, sounds fairly logic (at least not contradicting) as this subspecies belong in southwestern Thailand (old Siam) and southeastern Burma. The only thing I might add is that he was Scottish, but/well that´s included above in the inclusive term "British". More on this guy, here.

But why (why on Earth!) "Crawfurt's" in other places?

Anyone know?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Crawfurt is a lapsus or misspelling (perhaps derived from a continental pronunciation). Alternative spellings of Crawford (means 'crow ford') include Crauford, Crawfurd, Craufurd and Crawforth (Oxford Names Companion 2002, p. 148)

Last edited:
Crawfurd conclusion

Thanks James, so I suspected, as I´ve also seen it as "Crawford's" whatever-Pheasant ...

I guess the most recent use boils down to Avibase's (unfortunate) spelling of the Common name. If a lapsus also on their behalf, or not, is unknown to me. Either way, it´s of minor importance.

Thereby: Let´s forget about the "Crawfurt's" whatever-pheasant. Crawfurd is/was how his surname was written, thereby Crawfurd's is (and will stay) the proper Common name.

Mr. Crawfurd (and this crawfurdii) ... over and out!

Björn
---

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back