• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holy Grails of birding - 'Lost species' (1 Viewer)

Wow!

I'll certainly never see any of them.............from a WP point of view I would still say Siberian Rubythroat and White-throated Needletail are holy grails in their own way, though I sometimes wonder, certainly in the case of the swift, whether it is because of the name itself. If it had been called White-backed Swift for instance, the glamour might not be so strong?

You'd think that only if you've never seen a picture of one in sunlight... White-throated Needletail is not just a black and white bird, it gleams with iridescent colour. A proper Holy Grail!

I agree about the Rubythroat. Of course, when Ah were a lad Red-flanked Bluetail would have qualified, but not any more, though they are still class birds!

John

I compiled this list about a year ago, using different sources, e.g. these ones
OBC Lost birds
ABC Lost birds
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=146777
I had many more resources but don't remember most of them and I didn't take the time to check the current status on all of these species. I am well aware of some recent developments e.g. with Moustached Kingfisher, Blue-bearded Helmetcrest and Bogotá Sunangel, but I believe they all have a story that is worth being told as they had been lost for a long time or have only ever been seen by a selected few birders.

Back then I excluded some very obvious species, as I believed their stories had been covered extensively by others, but for this thread they are of course very worthy to be mentioned (e.g. Ivory-billed Woodpecker, Slender-billed Curlew).

What I'm gonna do in the next days is take all your comments into consideration and do some research for the uncommented species and put them categorise them:
Almost certainly extinct
Difficult to access, but still there
Still there, but not known where
'Real' Holy Grails

Or something along these lines

Also currently I'm working on an account for Kinglet Calyptura, which should be ready in a few days

One thing that I find really impressive and unbelievable is all the knowledge you guys here have about these species. When I go birding with friends here in germany most of them are already overwhelmed with the local avifauna. When I went to Peru with some of them they were completely steamrolled with so many more species and mostly only wrote down names and tried to get a picture, so they wouldn't forget what it looked like. And these were mostly rather common species.

But now you guys come. I compile a list of completely enigmatic birds, some of which are only known from the type specimen, others occur on mysterious islands well away off the beaten track and yet you all seem to know a thing or two about all of them, know people who are currently searching for them, or have seen them yourselves.

Maybe I'm just too much of a rookie yet with my 7 years of birding experience and in 30 years I can consider myself equal to you. But for now, I'm completely and totally amazed by you and your knowledge.
And I wonder: Are all the elite birders of the world on birdforum or is it just a handful and are there so many more out there?!

Awestruck greetings
Maffong

Crested Argus - not even endangered, but unobtainable as in low density and shy in hard to get places.
Shelley's Eagle-Owl - ditto.
Congo Peacock - found either in war zone, or in place fantastically expensive to get to.
Kakapo - access prohibited.

You can probably sort your list into:
- in areas politically or criminally prohibited or unsafe: e.g. Sulu-Philippines, Afghanistan, Yemen and Annobon endemics
- too expensive: like some tepui endemics which would require chartering a helicopter
- low density and shy in remote areas: like Crested Argus, Dulit Partridge or Bulwer's Pheasant. Perhaps this last category would really separate good birders from the boys.

Last edited:
Maffong, thank you for taking the time to put together such an amazing list.

Some notes on some of the "holy grails" mentioned above:

Cone-billed Tanager has been rediscovered already. First in Emas National park (2003) and later at the Juruena River another population was found in 2010.

Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo is mostly a hit-or-miss bird. I saw it few years ago while conducting a biological inventory for the Field Museum in the the Peruvian side of the Sierra del Divisor and later in Iquitos.

Acre Antshrike was VERY common at the Sierra del Divisor. The only detail are the logistics to get there. We were working using helicopters to survey the area. I heard it has been found somewhere else but it has not been disclose.

Vilcabamba Brush-Finch was seen few days ago by a group of friends but they haven't write anything about it yet. The only thing I learned is that it was very difficult and they got pretty lucky with the finding. Waiting to hear their report.

Stresseman's Bristle-Front is possible at Reserva Mata do Passarinho in Minas Gerais. I saw a young bird few years ago. The reserve manager was with my group an was very excited to see a young bird dispersing.

I would like to add also the Iquitos Gnatcatcher, which can be found at the Allpahuayo-Mishara reserve in Iquitos.

My two cents!

Cheers

Pepe

Kinglet Calyptura

Some of the smallest birds of the world live in Latin America. The Bee Hummingbird (Mellisuga helenae) with only 5 to 6 cm and 1.6-2.6 g is likely the smallest of them all, shortly followed by the similarly tiny Short-tailed Pygmy-Tyrant (Myiornis ecaudatus) which is the smallest passerine, measures 6.5cm, weighs 4.2g and lives throughout much of South America.

You might have heard of these ones, maybe even seen them. But have you heard of the Kinglet Calyptura (Calyptura cristata)? At 7.5-8 cm it's not much bigger than the aforementioned species, being even smaller than e.g. the Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) (9cm) or the Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) (8-11cm). With its yellow-green colouration, two white wingbars on blackish wings, a stubby tail and especially its black-bordered large orange-red crown patch it actually looks a lot like these two, but unlike these rather common species I'm quite sure you have never seen or heard (of) it.

Only a very tiny handful of people can claim themselves to have set eyes on a living Kinglet Calyptura. Back in late October 1996 the observation of a pair on the edge of Serra dos Órgãos National Park, ca. 60 km north of the city of Rio de Janeiro resurrected the species from the dead for three days and put them back on our radar.

The Kinglet Calyptura was first described to science by Louis Jean Pierre Vieillot in 1818 from a specimen taken in Rio de Janeiro. It was certainly not as rare back then as it is today, as over 55 specimens can be found in museum collections. But it vanished for more than a century after the last specimen was collected in 1890. Many ornithologists believed it to have gone extinct and only few people knew much about it, when suddenly on October 27th local ornithologist Riccardo Parini found what appeared to be the "most anxiously awaited" rediscovery of South America.

After calling some friends and describing what he had just seen they returned the next day to confirm its existence and exclude a mis-ID. Bad weather prevented them to refind the birds on this day, so on October 29th they returned once again and at 6:30 in the morning a tiny little bird popped up for a few seconds ca. 150-200 m away from the expected place in significantly taller trees than two days earlier (second growth atop some fairly dense, 3-4 m high trees), but soon vanished into a nearby treetop. Hastily the search party relocated to a better viewing spot and after a short search they finally got the views they had hoped for. Four observers had the great luck of being the first observers in over a hundred years of the Kinglet Calyptura. After a while they noticed, that there were actually two birds, which could again be observed on the next day. But eventhough professional video and sound-recording gear had been brought no footage could be obtained, as the birds quickly disappeared after their anxiously awaited appearance. Two more people saw the bird this time, while three people missed their chance of seeing it, probably forever, when they decided to walk a little but down the road and search there.

What they noticed in addition to the known key field marks (size & colouration) were two things that differed from what they had expected: The orange-red crown was held erect like a crest and the bird sat rather upright. This disagreed with the way that Kinglet Calypturas had been depicted in books before. Unfortunately the birds would not call or do anything other than repeat a routine of flights, with brief pauses to rest on specific treetops. The upright posture actually makes some sense, if you consider that the Calyptura is most closely related to the members of the genuses Platyrinchus and Neopipo, forming a basal branch of the tyrant flycatcher family, which have a fairly erect posture too.

The following 30 days the group returned nine times, but to no avail before the observation was finally announced to the general public in late November. Remember that this was before the era of cellphones, the internet and instant news.

For most people that have heard the story of the Calyptura this is already where it ends. The birds are most probably still out there, though their diminutive size, unknown calls and likely small population has hindered another rediscovery. But there are three unconfirmed sightings from the general area that bear some credibility:
  • A report from July 1990 by Tomas Sigrist describes a pair following a mixed flock in subcanopy at Picinguaba near Ubatuba in Sao Paulo. It’s interesting to know that this report (proceeding the sightings from 1996) already mentions the male raising its crest, something that was an unknown behaviour at the time. However it wasn’t published until 2005, which is somewhat surprising given the noteworthiness of this incredible sighting.
  • A second report on 27th March 1997 by Ladd Hockey from a place near Ubatuba Experimental Station goes into detail about several key characteristics that were noticed, but unfortunately the observations was short (5 s) and his wife Petra was birding apart from him at the moment and thus couldn’t confirm the observation. Again the raised crest is mentioned.
  • And finally on 4th March 2006 Martin Schaefer reported that he and his wife had observed a Calyptura in subcanopy near Ubatuba, again with a mixed species flock. Again the description fits well with Kinglet Calyptura, but some key characteristics like the size or the short tail are left unmentioned and at least one of the accompanying species mentioned (Red-legged Honeycreeper) does not occur in the area.

Recently a two-month survey by Frank Lambert from mid-september to mid-november 2006 sadly ended fruitless, as did another 15-day expedition in search of the enigmatic Calyptura in October 2010 by Luciano Lima. But I’m convinced that it is still out there and will eventually be re-rediscovered!

Species has confirmedly been observed by 4 birdwatchers and there are unconfirmed reports from 4 more observers.

Further reading:
José Fernando Pacheco and Paulo Sérgio Moreira da Fonseca (2001): The remarkable rediscovery of the Kinglet Calyptura Calyptura cristata, Cotinga 16: 48-51
Guy M. Kirwan and Frank Lambert (2010): The twice-vanishing pardalote: what future for the Kinglet Calyptura Calyptura cristata?, Neotropical Birding 6: 4-17
Jan I. Ohlson, Martin Irestedt, Jon Fjeldsa, Per G. P. Ericson (2012): Nuclear DNA from a 180-year-old study skin reveals the phylogenetic position of the Kinglet Calyptura Calyptura cristata (Passeriformes: Tyrannides), IBIS 154: 533-541
Snow, D., de Juana, E. & Sharpe, C.J. (2017). Kinglet Calyptura (Calyptura cristata). In: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., Sargatal, J., Christie, D.A. & de Juana, E. (eds.). Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. (retrieved from http://www.hbw.com/node/57019 on 28 July 2017).
The search for Kinglet Calyptura (2016)
http://www.worldtwitch.com/brazil_bird_reports.htm
TV report by Globo (2016): Pesquisadores buscam tietê de coroa, ave desaparecida há 20 anos, em Bom Jardim, no RJ
Facebook event (2016): Expedição Calyptura
Eduardo Brettas (2010): Illustration of Kinglet Calyptura retrieved from http://eduardobrettas.blogspot.de/2010_10_01_archive.html on 30.07.2016
Male kinglet calyptura collected around 1850 from south-east Brazil by Finnish entomologist Reinhold Ferdinand Sahlberg retrieved from arkive.org on 30.07.2017
Rich Hoyer (2012): Kinglet Calyptura is a Tyrant Flycatcher

Unfortunately I can't edit the opening post (which I had intended to do), maybe an admin can edit this post into the first one?!

A Holy Grail in the birding world is a species that has a special aura around it, because it's such an elusive species that it is deemed pretty much impossible to observe. The main focus of this thread lies on species that are or were lost to science for several decades, have only very recently been discovered or elude the views of even the most passionate and hardcore birders.
I will not include species, that are confined to small but expensive or difficult to reach areas, but are rather common there nor will I include species that are enigmatic only at a local scale. Cryptic species will also not be included.

Please tell me if you disagree somewhere or belie that a species should be added

Real holy Grails that still need to be rediscovered or have only ever turned up on very few scattered occasions
Antioquia Brush-finch Atlapetes blancae
Bates’s Weaver Ploceus batesi
Black-browed Babbler Malacocincla perspicillata
Black-chinned Monarch Monarcha boanensis
Black-lored Waxbill Estrilda nigriloris
Blue-wattled Bulbul Pycnonotus nieuwenhuisii
Bougainville Moustached Kingfisher Actenoides bougainvillei
Brown-banded Rail Lewinia mirificus
Cayenne Nightjar Caprimulgus maculosus
Congo Bay-Owl Phodilus prigoginei
Coppery Thorntail Discosura letitiae
Dulit Partridge Rhizothera dulitensis
Eastern Wattled Cuckooshrike Lobotos oriolinus
Fernando Po Swift Apus sladeniae
Glaucous Macaw Anodorhynchus glaucus
Golden-naped Weaver Ploceus aureonucha
Guadalupe Storm-petrel Hydrobates macrodactylus
Himalayan Quail Ophrysia superciliosa
Jamaican Poorwill Siphonorhis americana
Javan Lapwing Vanellus macropterus
Jerdon’s Courser Rhinoptilus bitorquatus
Kabobo Apalis Apalis kaboboensis
Kinglet Calyptura Calyptura cristata
Liberian Greenbul Phyllastrephus leucolepis
Luzon Buttonquail Turnix worcesteri
Magdalena Tinamou Crypturellus saltuarius (sometimes considered conspecific with Red-legged Tinamou C. erythropus or Choco Tinamou C. kerriae
Manipur Bush-quail Perdicula manipurensis
Visayan Miniature Babbler Micromacronus leytensis
Nechisar Nightjar Caprimulgus solala
Negros Fruit-dove Ptilinopus arcanus
Nicobar Scops-owl Otus alius
Nicobar Sparrowhawk Accipter butleri
Obbia Lark Spizocorys obbiensis
Pink-headed Duck Rhodonessa caryophyllacea
Prigogine’s Greenbul Chlorocichla prigoginei
Prigogine’s Nightjar Caprimulgus prigoginei
Purple-winged Ground-dove Claravis godefrida
Red-throated Lorikeet Charmosyna amabilis
Red Sea Swallow Petrochelidon perdita
Rockefeller’s Sunbird Cynniris rockefelleri
Rück’s Blue Flycatcher Cyornis ruckii
Madanga Madanga ruficollis
Schouteden’s Swift Schoutedenapus schoutedeni
Semper's Warbler Leucopeza semperi
Seram Thrush Geokichla joiceyi
Siau Scops-owl Otus siaoensis
Silvery Pigeon Columba argentina
Slender-billed Curlew Numenius tenuirostris
Snoring Rail Aramidopsis plateni
Spix’s Macaw Cyanopsitta spixii
Sulu Bleeding-heart Gallicolumba menagei
São Tomé Grosbeak Neospiza concolor
Tana River Cisticola Cisticola restrictus
Turquoise-throated Puffleg Eriocnemis godini
Vaurie’s Nightjar Caprimulgus centralasicus
White-chested Tinkerbird Pogoniulus makawai
White-eyed River-Martin Eurochelidon sirintarae
Whitehead’s Swiftlet Aerodramus whiteheadi

Holy Grails, that are probably extinct
Alaotra Grebe Tachybaptus rufolavatus (Last confirmed sighting 1985)
Bachman's Warbler Vermivora bachmanii (Last confirmed sighting 1962)
Crested Shelduck Tadorna cristata (Last confirmed sighting 1964)
Eskimo Curlew Numenius borealis (Last confirmed sighting in 1980s)
Imperial Woodpecker Campephilus imperialis (Last confirmed sighting 1956)
Ivory-billed Woodpecker Campephilus principalis (Last confirmed sighting 1944)
Jamaican Petrel Pterodroma caribbaea (Last confirmed sighting 1879)

Species that used to be Holy Grails, but populations have now been rediscovered and can now be found at specific sites
Anjouan Scops Owl Otus capnodes (rediscovered 1992 after > a century without records)
Banggai Crow Corvus unicolor (rediscovered in 1991 and 2004 after > a century without records)
Blue-eyed Ground-dove Columbina cyanopis (rediscovered in 2016 (records also 1986, 2007) after last sighting in 1940/41)
Bryan's Shearwater Puffinus bryani (rediscovered in 1997 after 34 years without records)
Kaempfer’s Woodpecker Celeus obrieni (rediscovered in 1996 after > 80s years without records)
Cerulean Paradise-flycatcher Eutrichomyias rowleyi (redscovered in 1998 after > a century without records)
Cebu Flowerpecker Dicaeum quadricolor (rediscovered in 1992 after 86 years without records)
Cherry-throated Tanager (rediscovered in 1998 after 57 years without records)
Chestnut-bellied Flowerpiercer Diglossa gloriosissima (rediscovered in 2004 after almost 40 years with records)
Cone-billed Tanager Conothraupis mesoleuca (rediscovered in 2003 after 65 years without records)
Damar Flycatcher Ficedula henrici (rediscovered in 2001 after > century without records)
Fiji Petrel Pseudobulweria macgillivrayi (rediscovered in 1984 after ca. 150 with only very scattered records (1964-1965))
Forest Owlet Heteroglaux blewitti (rediscovered in 1997 after 113 years without records)
Gabela Helmetshrike Prionops gabela (rediscovered in 2003 after disappearing in 1970s)
Glittering Starfrontlet Coeligena orina (rediscovered in 2004 after 53 years without records)
Guadalcanal Moustached Kingfisher Actenoides excelsus (rediscovered in 1994 after 41 years without records)
Large-billed Reed-Warbler Acrocephalus orinus (rediscovered in 2006 after 149 years without records)
Lesser Masked-owl Tyto sororcula (sometimes considered conspecific with Australian Masked-owl Tyto novaehollandiae) (rediscovered in 1987 and 1995 (?) after 64/72 years without records)
Lufira Masked Weaver Ploceus ruweti (rediscovered in 2009 after ca. 50 years without records)
Liben Lark Heteromirafra archeri (rediscovered in 2004 after 49 years without records)
Madagascar Pochards Aythya innotata (rediscovered in 2006 after 66 years without records)
Magenta Petrel Pterodroma magenta (rediscovered in 1978 after ??? years without records)
Mascarene Petrel Pseudobulweria aterrima (rediscovered in 1990s with only very few scattered records before)
Monteiro’s Bush-shrike Malaconotus monteiri (rediscovered in 2001 with only very few records after 1932)
Night Parrot Pezoporus occidentalis (rediscovered in 2013 with only very few records after 19th century)
Recurve-billed Bushbird Clytoctantes alixii (rediscovered in 2004 after 39 years without records)
Rusty-throated Wren-babbler Spelaeornis badeigularis (rediscovered in 2004 after ca. 65 years without records)
Sangihe Whistler Coracornis sanghirensis (rediscovered in 1985 after ca. 100 years without records)
Sangihe White-eye Zosterops nehrkorni (rediscovered in 1996 after 110 years without records)
Sillem’s Rosefinch Carpodacus sillemi (rediscovered in 2012 after 83 years without records)
Stresemann’s Bristlefront Merulaxis stresemanni (rediscovered 1995 after 50 and 165 years without records)
Swierstra’s Francolin Francolinus swierstrai (rediscovered in 2005 and 2010 after 34/39 years without records)
Tachira Antpitta Grallaria chthonia (rediscovered in 2016 after 60 years without records)
White-tipped Monarch Monarcha everetti (rediscovered in 1993 after 66 years without records)
White-masked Antbird Pithys castaneus (rediscovered in 2001 after 64 years without records)
Yellow-throated Seedeater Crithagra flavigula (rediscovered in 1989 after 103 years without records)

Rare range-restricted species / Highly elusive species that are very difficult to target or in inaccessible regions
Anambra Waxbill Estrilda poliopareia
Ash’s Lark Mirafra ashi
Bahia Tapaculo Scytalopus psychopompus
Banded Ground-cuckoo Neomorphus radiolosus
Barred Tinamou Crypturellus casiquiare
Baumann’s Greenbul Phyllastrephus baumanni
Brazza’s Martin Phedina brazzae
Colombian Crake Neocrex colombiana
Dorst’s Cisticola Cisticola guinea
Dot-winged Crake Porzana spiloptera
Dusky Tetraka Crossleyia tenebrosa
Friedmann’s Lark Mirafra pulpa
Maned Owl Jubula lettii
Mohéli Scops-owl Otus moheliensis
Nubian Bustard Neotis nuba
Philippa’s Crombec Sylvietta philippae
Red-billed Ground-cuckoo Neomorphus pucheranii
Rondônia Bushbird Clytoctantes atrogularis
Shelley’s Eagle Owl Bubo shelleyi
Sinaloa Martin Progne sinaloae
Black-tailed Cisticola Cisticola melanurus
Somali Pigeon Columba oliviae
Tooth-billed Pigeon Didunculus strigirostris
Warsangli Linnet Carduelis johannis
White-fronted Swift Cypseloides storeri
Williams’s Lark Mirafra williamsi
Yellow-crested Helmetshrike Prionops alberti
Yellow-footed Honeyguide Melignomon eisentrauti
Yellow-legged Weaver Ploceus flavipes

Never existed as distinct species
Blüntschli’s Vanga Hypositta perdita (Fledglings of White-throated Oxylabes Oxylabes madagascariensis)
Bogotá Sunangel Heliangelus zusii (Hybrid of Long-tailed Sylph Aglaiocercus kingii and undetermined second species)
Bulo Burti Boubou Laniarius liberatus (Variant of Somali Boubou, which is furthermore now lumped with Manda Boubou)
Carrizal Seedeater Amaurospiza carrizalensis (Subspecies of Blue Grosbeak Amaurospiza moesta)
Degodi Lark Mirafra degodiensis (Synonym of Gillett’s Lark Mirafra gilletti)
Hooded Seedeater Sporophila melanops (Believed to be Dark-throated Seedeater Sporophila ruficollis with partial melanism)
Long-tailed Pipit Anthus longicaudatus (Shown to be misidentified Buffy Pipits Anthus vaalensis and Long-billed Pipit Anthus simillis)
Sharpe’s Rail Gallirallus sharpie (Considered to be a form of Buff-banded Rail)

Last edited:
Lesser Masked-owl Tyto sororcula (sometimes considered conspecific with Australian Masked-owl Tyto novaehollandiae)

So common even I've seen it- on both Buru & Tanimbar. I think this should be removed as it has been seen by many - and probably isn't a species..see Eaton et al.

cheers, alan

Javan Lapwing, Pink-headed Duck, and Glaucous Macaw are almost certainly extinct. Himalayan Quail and Negros Fruit Dove probably extinct. Spix's Macaw may be extinct in the wild, although a sighting last year might have been a truly wild bird rather than a release. Jerdon's Courser hasn't been seen for a number of years and might be considered potentially extinct.

Blue-wattled Bulbul is generally considerd to be a hybrid.

You'd think that only if you've never seen a picture of one in sunlight... White-throated Needletail is not just a black and white bird, it gleams with iridescent colour. A proper Holy Grail!

I agree about the Rubythroat. Of course, when Ah were a lad Red-flanked Bluetail would have qualified, but not any more, though they are still class birds!

John

I know its very nice John, but is it that different from a House Martin for instance? Let me qualify that, I know there are obvious differences (size, structure), I just sometimes think it helps to have an enigmatic name too.

Mind you, I'd settle for Amur Falcon right now! Wonder where that bird has gone?

My ideas of holy grails in a WP context are far less imaginative - Gyrfalcon, male Pallid Harrier, Great Grey Owl, White's Thrush, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Siberian Thrush, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, and the already mentioned Siberian Rubythroat.

That is as far in extent that my simple mind and body will allow my birding sole to venture during its in-extraordinary lifetime.

Last edited:
Tessman's FC can be targeted in Ghana on the regular circuit, e.g. Bobiri butterfly reserve, only some hours driving from Accra.
I fear for Liberian Greenbul as already being extinct, but with a mindset like that, things are obviously not going to be rediscovered, so better assume they are still there!

From personal experience, I think in Asia, the only ones that should remain on the list are the following + a handful of additions. The rest I, or people I know have recent confirmed records of:

Real holy Grails that still need to be rediscovered or have only ever turned up on very few scattered occasions
Blue-wattled Bulbul Pycnonotus nieuwenhuisii - as it's still a classed as a valid species I guess it has to remain on, though my personal opinion on this is it is quite clearly an aberrant Black-headed Bulbul (I've seen a handful of lookalikes), not even a hybrid.
Brown-banded Rail Lewinia mirificus
Himalayan Quail Ophrysia superciliosa - must still be present in several locations, I can't believe a Himalayan gamebird to be extinct, how many birders have actually made a concerted effort to walk through grasslands in the whole region!
Javan Lapwing Vanellus macropterus
Jerdon’s Courser Rhinoptilus bitorquatus
Luzon Buttonquail Turnix worcesteri
Manipur Bush-quail Perdicula manipurensis - lack of confirmed recent sightings.
Dulit Partridge - only known from specimens, including Mount Kinabalu.
Negros Fruit-dove Ptilinopus arcanus
Pink-headed Duck Rhodonessa caryophyllacea
Rück’s Blue Flycatcher Cyornis ruckii
Black-browed Babbler - definitely to add to the list, holy grail of Bornean ornithology.
Siau Scops-owl Otus siaoensis
Slender-billed Curlew Numenius tenuirostris
Snoring Rail Aramidopsis plateni - this one must be widespread, just needs a sound recording I suspect!
Sulu Bleeding-heart Gallicolumba menagei
Seram Thrush - when was the last confirmed record of this! Despite it likely being common where found.
Vaurie’s Nightjar Caprimulgus centralasicus - Gobi Desert of southern Mongolia is my bet.
Long-billed Grasshopper (Bush) Warbler - other than a sighting in 2015 in Kashmir, any other recent confirmed records since Dave Farrow's in Pakistan in the 80s?
White-eyed River-Martin Eurochelidon sirintarae

I assume some of these (martin, lapwing, courser, duck) are already extinct given what I know from the areas and read about them.

James

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back