• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fritillaries 3 - Dordogne (1 Viewer)

MTem

And more undersides

1. Provencal?
2. Meadow
3. Knapweed
4. Knapweed
5. Lesser Spotted?

Mick

Attachments

• Jul17-178FR.jpg
    Jul17-178FR.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 26
  • Jul17-163FR.jpg
    Jul17-163FR.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 37
  • Jul17-193FR.jpg
    Jul17-193FR.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Aug17-027FR.jpg
    Aug17-027FR.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Aug17-019FR.jpg
    Aug17-019FR.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 20
1. Heath
2. possibly Meadow (the issue here is with Provençal)
3 and 4: Knapweed
5: Lesser Spotted seems right but I would be cautious with this one, as this is a tricky species...

As Andy was saying on a previous thread, taking images of the upper as well of the underside of a given individual is important with fritillaries. As well taking shots of several individuals within a population might also help with species like Meadow, Heath and Provençal.

Last edited:
Thanks Rafael,

I did try to get upper and lower side photos - not always that easy! I came back with 400 butterfly photos, mostly fritillaries (because I like them! - and I see so few here) so I am just trying to get some general principles sorted.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Mick

I did get a partial (very) upper wing for 2. See photo. Seems to rule out Provencal?

Mick

Attachments

• Jul17-162FR.jpg
    Jul17-162FR.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back