• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (10 Viewers)

There was a whole load of 'not much' around this morning, in fresh, breezy southwesterlies. There's still a scattering of Song Thrushes and Goldcrests about - perhaps ten of each - but not many other migrants aside from five Wheatears. It was good to see several Bottlenose Dolphins back, and in frisky mood. Virtually nothing else was happening on the sea. Nigg Bay was a bit more interesting. The undoubted bird of the day was a Great-spotted Woodpecker, which flew from the railway embankment towards Torry. In the marsh there were an impressive fourteen Snipe and a Teal.

Had a bit of luck whilst driving below the battery on Monday. Managed to do a U turn and get 3 photos!!

Used as my Image of the Month on my website even though it is only the 4th!!

Ian

Attachments

• 20121001-_MG_7743.jpg
    20121001-_MG_7743.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Much duffness today, with everything a bit quiet in the brisk northwesterlies. A few dolphins were amongst the waves and parties of Pink-footed Geese were regularly flying south. Offshore ten Wigeon and a Red-breasted Merganser went north. That really was about it. Bring back easterlies.

I had a wander around Tullos Hill this afternoon. Large numbers of Blackbirds, Redwings, Song Thrushes & Robins were present with smaller numbers of Fieldfare & Mistle Thrush. Other migrants were poorly represented 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Blackcap & 1 Brambling the best I could do. A Hooded Crow was present - a properly pale one unlike many of the birds one sees locally. Nearby at Rigifa a fine cock Brambling flew off the road into the conifers by the stubble field at the junction.

Yeah, few things about today. I was out for more-or-less the whole day and it was certainly interesting but perhaps lacking the 'boy'. It was very apparent along Abbey Road that there were lots of commoner migrants about. Rough numbers through the day were along the lines of 150 Robins, 150 Blackbirds, 50 Song Thrushes, 40 Redwings, 40 Chaffinches, 25 Dunnocks and 75 Goldcrests. Those are 'ball park figures' in the main, and probably a bit on the conservative side. Slightly more precise numbers of more notable migrants were ten Brambling, six Chiffchaff, seven Blackcaps (all males, strangely), two Siskins, four Reed Buntings, two Swallows and one Fieldfare.

A Common Redstart was seen briefly a couple of times by the allotments. A fairly routine looking Reed Warbler was on the north bank and a Snow Bunting (perhaps the same bird as a few days ago) was pottering about in the middle of the Battery. Possibly the best birds were four or five Twite on Greyhope Bay - my biggest group ever here. A Ring Ouzel was seen briefly on Abbey Road and then, as predicted, made its way onto the house list - a scope view of it swooping into the rowan trees. An afternoon wander around Nigg Bay again produced a Great-spotted Woodpecker, hopping through the low willows and along the fenceposts before finding its way to the railway embankment.

Despite the array of 'stuff' my sprite avoidance contined. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there - I reckon I looked at enough Goldcrests today to find something a bit better! Other stuff in various places included a Sparrowhawk, two Kestrels, a Knot, a Sanderling, eight Teal, four Common Snipe, six Common Scoter and three Red-breasted Merganser. Seven Long-tailed Ducks, my first of the autumn, went through out to sea.

Some pictures:
1. A Brambling takes advantage of the available cover
2. Snow Bunting
3. More local scarce
4. Caravans are regular drift migrants here

Attachments

• Brambling_Girdle Ness_131012a.jpg
    Brambling_Girdle Ness_131012a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Snow Bunting_Girdle Ness_131012a.jpg
    Snow Bunting_Girdle Ness_131012a.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 73
  • GS Woodpecker_Girdle Ness_131012a.jpg
    GS Woodpecker_Girdle Ness_131012a.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Caravan_Girdle Ness_131012.jpg
    Caravan_Girdle Ness_131012.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 68
A good number of birds there Andrew.The Caravan reminds me of the "static" one that used to sell Ice Cream there In the late 60s and 70s.Perhaps Its been there all the time and the wind brought It back to the surface.

Nice to see a return to the non birding pics,that you are famous for Andrew..!

Was a bit lazy today and didn't get out till the afternoon. I guess yesterday's efforts were rewarded though. Much of the time was spent dodging the fairly heavy downpours but in between times there was still quite a bit around. Thrush numbers were probably a little lower than yesterday but otherwise plenty was zipping about. Three Redpoll and a Siskin flew over the allotments and at least three Brambling were still around. A Short-eared Owl ambled over the golf course, receiving predictable attention from the local gulls.

After sheltering from a downpour at the Coo I headed around the south side of the Ness and wandered along the gully that leads off from the road just above the Nigg Bay car park. Soon a small bird flitted up on a burnt gorse. Splendid - a Red-breasted Flycatcher! It sped briskly about the gully, disappearing sometimes only to reappear nearby a few minutes later. A nice patch tick and always a good bird to find.

Mark, who had nipped up to see the RBF, called me to say that he'd found a Yellow-browed Warbler down at the waterworks in Nigg Bay. I wandered down there but the bird had disappeared into the willows. We wandered about seeing a Redstart and a Woodcock. After going our separate ways, Mark saw it again but sadly I couldn't relocate it, despite looking through a fairly gargantuan number of Goldcrests (50+). My sprite repelence is confirmed. Other stuff today included Sparrowhawk and a couple each of Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Reed Bunting.

Here are a couple of shots of the Flicker of an RB persuasion.

Attachments

• RB Fly_Girdle Ness_141012d.jpg
    RB Fly_Girdle Ness_141012d.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 84
  • RB Fly_Girdle Ness_141012b.jpg
    RB Fly_Girdle Ness_141012b.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 97
Thanks again for the RB fly Andrew! I'll have a look round the sewage works in the morning and let you know if the YBW is still around. Perhaps with some better directions this time.

There was one other migrant of note at the ness today. I had a quick wonder round in the morning before the rain came on, and had the most incredible encounter with an otter! At one point it was wandering round about 5 metres away from me. It hung around for about half an hour, and although aware of people close to it, it didn't really seem to care...

My girlfriend successfully twitched it, and managed to get this rather nice photo...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 84
Barred warbler in the allotments this lunchtime. Also, bumped into Mark Sullivan who'd had a black redstart somewhere on the golf course. A good couple of days for the patch...

The Hill still had plenty of birds at lunchtime but finding anything scarce on it continues to defeat me. The remains of of the Blackbird invasion have nearly stripped the Rowans, although most of the other thrushes are gone. Lots of Robins, crests, 10+ Chiffs & 3 Brambling. I can sympathise with Andrew's Sprite Drought - I often think there must be one somewhere in the trees above the Tullos Industrial estate and indeed a mass of stripes whirred past me into the canopy never to be seen again today. Grrr!

Had a fairly good look around today. Some interesting bits and pieces but it was much quieter on the whole with far fewer migrants than at the weekend. Thrushes were thin on the ground, with just four Song Thrushes and a Redwing. Other migrants included six Goldcrests, two Blackcaps, two Chiffchaffs, three Siskins, one Grey Wagtail, one Reed Bunting and a single Redpoll over. A Common Redstart was between the allotments and the Battery. Once again I saw a Great-spotted Woodpecker in Nigg Bay, and in fact there might even have been two around. What's going on with woodpeckers this autumn eh? Offshore was quiet apart from three Red-throated Divers and both Bottlenose Dolphin and Harbour Porpoise. One Common Snipe and a Common Darter were in the marsh at St Fittick's.

A rather becalmed day here, with almost no migrants around even compared to yesterday. A Chiffchaff was on Abbey Road and a Blackcap at the Battery. Only one Goldcrest was heard in Nigg Bay, and no thrushes were around aside from a scattering of Blackbirds. Also in Nigg Bay, a flock of eleven Long-tailed Tits was good, and six Siskins were in the alders. A Knot was on the rocks by the Coo and offshore were two Red-throated Divers and a Harbour Porpoise. I still reckon there might be something decent out there somewhere, but not much is coming in. Might be good in a few days time if the easterlies kick in though.

Some interesting migrants in Nigg Bay, the best of which were 2 black redstarts feeding along the western edge of the marsh. Also around the sewage works were a lesser redpoll, a fieldfare, a few long tailed tits, and the odd chiffchaff and goldcrest.

Not a lot anywhere else though...

I don't tend to bother doing much vismig watching here, which I usually assume is a mistake. This was demonstrated this morning when an hour or so of watching from my bedroom produced two rather overdue house ticks: a Reed Bunting and three Siskins. Also going south were two Chaffinches, two Greenfinches, fifteen Skylarks, 22 Meadow Pipits, four Pied Wagtails, a Grey Wagtail and a Mistle Thrush.

I had a wander about late afternoon. I spent most of the time in Nigg Bay but didn't manage to find Mark's Black Redstarts. I did see a Great-spotted Woodpecker again - this time a female, so there have certainly been at least two birds around over the last week or so. Other stuff included two Long-tailed Tits and single Siskin, Redwing and Fieldfare. Very little else was about, but we did have an update of the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Good job! High five!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back