• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

I had an hour yesterday at Greyhope Bay car park. Purple Sandpipers a plenty in among the rocks at high tide - I counted 40+ but can't be more accurate than that. Also spent a long time trying to turn a juvenile Kittiwake into something more exotic.

I had an hour yesterday at Greyhope Bay car park. Purple Sandpipers a plenty in among the rocks at high tide - I counted 40+ but can't be more accurate than that. Also spent a long time trying to turn a juvenile Kittiwake into something more exotic.

Wonder what's down there today with all the wind and rain. Unfortunately I'm pretty busy till the end of the week, so won't have much chance to look.

I just had a look at the long-range forecast for Aberdeen on Metcheck and it seems to suggest that it's going to keep raining for at least the next fortnight. Really! Mostly southeasterlies, so we could find a few good birds in between the downpours.

Well it hasn't stopped here today and the thought of two solid weeks of it is depressing to say the least. Lets hope those inbetween breaks are forthcoming.

TS

There are reports of a Radde's Warbler kicking around Torry Battery. Anyone seen it yet?

Also, hate to steal a man's thunder but apparently our own Dr Whitehouse has found a firecrest on the North Bank of the Harbourside as well.

good luck

k

There are reports of a Radde's Warbler kicking around Torry Battery. Anyone seen it yet?

Also, hate to steal a man's thunder but apparently our own Dr Whitehouse has found a firecrest on the North Bank of the Harbourside as well.

good luck

k

Quite an interesting day and educational day here in Torry - the sort we should have more of. A bit more detail to follow later.

Birds

Regular readers of this thread may be surprised to hear that Girdle Ness occasionally gets some good birds. But good birds are sometimes a bit 'complicated'. Which is okay, I think. Anyway, I went birding today and here's what I saw.

It's been raining two days solid in Aberdeen with southeasterlies so I reasoned there'd be a few things around. Seeing a Woodcock fly over whilst glancing briefly out my kitchen window first thing gave some substance to this. I headed along Abbey Road, where there were plenty of Redwings and Blackbirds and had a look around the allotments, where there was a Blackcap, a Goldcrest and a Brambling (heard only). The supple limbs of the tree were drawing migrants seductively towards its soft embrace, including several Goldcrests and a Chiffchaff. There were more Fieldfares and Redwings overhead and good numbers of Song Thrushes, Robins and Dunnocks. Another Blackcap and a less expected Willow Warbler were along the north bank.

Walking in the other direction (towards the Ness) I hopped up the bank a short distance into the willowherb and a completely smashing Firecrest appeared in front of me. I know it's been said before, but they really are good birds. You can't go wrong with a Firecrest. This was a particularly bright one with a very orangey crest. They even look good in crap photos (see below). It spent the rest of the day in the same small area, often giving great views.

The Battery was a scene of intrigue. Not long after arriving a small, plain acrocephalus warbler flew out of the bushes on the north side, giving only brief views as it dashed about. It was very flighty and soon disappeared. When I got around to the other side, Richard Schofield and a couple of others were carefully scrutinising some gorse and told me they'd seen an interesting warbler in there. I assumed they might have seen the acro but Richard eventually managed views of the bird and said it looked like a Dusky Warbler. It flitted out and into the small patch of low rosebushes by the car park. It showed very intermittently and briefly in the bushes for several minutes. My first view was of a dark looking warbler with a huge supercillium. Then I got a better view as it poked its head up for a few seconds. Nobody else could see it at this point but it looked to have a chunky bill and a distinct yellowish tone, particularly on the broad downcurved supercillium. I've never seen Dusky or Radde's Warbler before (as I'm not a filthy tick-hungry twitcher) but this conformed well to what I imagined Radde's Warbler to look like. I told Richard what I thought but it didn't show again in the roses. It then flew back towards the battery and into some gorse before reappearing in some weeds and showing much better for half a minute or so. I say better, but the light was less good and the bird was further away. Richard was happy it was a Dusky and I also thought it looked darker and without the yellow tones I'd seen earlier, so was happy to go along with that. It also seemed a bit smaller than it had looked in the roses, although I was really struck by the large and long head, giving the bird a strangely 'front heavy' appearance. Anyway, it disappeared and we couldn't find it again.

I headed off around the golf course and didn't see much except for a Swallow, a male Stonechat and a Reed Bunting. I returned to the Battery and had an entertaining chat with a birder from Shetland, whom I later discovered was Brydon Thomason. The warbler seemed to have done a runner and so I headed home for lunch, seeing the Firecrest again on my way back. Just before I got home I got a text saying that the warbler at the Battery had been reidentified by Brydon as a Radde's Warbler. Hmm! Checking books and pictures when I got home, I felt much happier with that ID than with Dusky. I was quite struck by how unlike a Chiffchaff it had looked at all times, and I sort of expect a Dusky to be much more Chiffy-like in proportions. Anyway, all educational - thanks to Richard and Brydon for finding and helping to figure out the ID of a new bird for me.

Later in the afternoon I returned to the Battery. I was interested to hear that others had seen an acrocephalus warbler on the north bank just below the Battery - presumably the bird I'd seen in the morning before getting distracted. I saw the bird briefly but others saw it better, IDing it as a Reed Warbler. Otherwise, I met Ken and we and others had further looks for the Radde's and had further views of the Firecrest.

Here are some cracking crest shots. You can, I think, tell what it is.

Attachments

• Firecrest_Girdle_Ness_231009a.jpg
    Firecrest_Girdle_Ness_231009a.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Firecrest_Girdle_Ness_231009b.jpg
    Firecrest_Girdle_Ness_231009b.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 81
Nice to hear of a good day at the 'ness Andrew. Firecrest is a particularly good bird there - I've seen the same number of Firecrests there as I have Radde's Warblers. You can proablyguess what that number is.

Nice to hear of a good day at the 'ness Andrew. Firecrest is a particularly good bird there - I've seen the same number of Firecrests there as I have Radde's Warblers. You can proablyguess what that number is.

It's actually my second Girdle Ness Firecrest. The previous one was a spring bird, in pre-Birds fae Torry days. I don't suppose there have been many Radde's Warblers in northeast Scotland - it's still quite a scarce bird on the Scottish mainland generally.

I'm only aware of three previous records of Radde's Warbler in North-east Scotland, although there may have been others since I left. The bird at Girdleness on 11 October 1991 was certainly the second for the area.

Hows It Looking For Tomorrow ?

In a bit of a Catch 22 here.I have been asked to go to my Nephews football tomorrow morning but Im in two minds,in case something good turns up at The Ness.Was anyone around today ? Are the weather conditions favourable for Sunday ? I notice nobody has posted any news for today but thats understandable,considering the rain but would welcome comments.

In a bit of a Catch 22 here.I have been asked to go to my Nephews football tomorrow morning but Im in two minds,in case something good turns up at The Ness.Was anyone around today ? Are the weather conditions favourable for Sunday ? I notice nobody has posted any news for today but thats understandable,considering the rain but would welcome comments.

I tried quite hard this morning but didn't find too much. Having said that the Firecrest was still around in the same place as yesterday, so that's worth seeing. Otherwise just a scattering of thrushes and Goldcrests, 3 Red-breasted Mergansers and 5 Goosanders on the harbour and a gang of dolphins. There might be new stuff in tomorrow, and the weather looks like being a bit better.

I tried quite hard this morning but didn't find too much. Having said that the Firecrest was still around in the same place as yesterday, so that's worth seeing. Otherwise just a scattering of thrushes and Goldcrests, 3 Red-breasted Mergansers and 5 Goosanders on the harbour and a gang of dolphins. There might be new stuff in tomorrow, and the weather looks like being a bit better.

Cheers Andrew. :t:

An interesting if not spectacular morning. Abbey Road held some bits and bobs. A couple of Mistle Thrushes flew out of the bushes - not a common bird here - and there were also two rather greyish looking Chiffchaffs. One of them looked as if it was ringed. It'd be good to know where (apart from 'its leg' obviously).

The Ness itself was much quieter and I didn't see any significant migrants except for the usual plethora of Blackbirds and Robins and a flock of Redwings. Single Red-breasted Mergansers and Goosanders were on the harbour and a female Stonechat was at the Battery. Four Ringed Plovers and the Freak were on Greyhope Bay. Much more interesting were a couple of Twite, which I first saw flying up from some rough grass on the edge of the golf course, by Walker Park, before getting some views of them on some weeds on the bank above Greyhope Bay. Then they flew off towards the tip of the Ness. A Girdle Ness tick for me.

A non-Totaliser-threatening 9 Purple Sandpipers were on the jetty off the Coo. Offshore a single Red-throated Diver was on the sea and a Common Scoter went north. There was a trickle of Guillemots and Gannets and a couple of parties of Starlings and one of Fieldfares and Redwings came 'in off'. I had a good look round the waterworks in Nigg Bay and was rewarded with a quick view of a Lesser Whitethroat and a Blackcap for my efforts. There's probably all sorts in there though (a Siberian Chiffchaff was reported from earlier this morning).

In the afternoon I was pleased to see a male Blackcap in a neighbouring garden - only the second I've seen from the flat. A large roost of Starlings, no doubt including numerous immigrants, swirled over the harbour at dusk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back