• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crawling through mud (1 Viewer)

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=134110

I'd rather do a shoot lying down than standing up...it's easier on the feet! I don't mind getting covered in mud and crap either...I get some odd looks on the bus when going home. I dread the day when the driver won't let me on. I will sacrifice almost anything to get a bird at eye level. I once did a wheatear near Chorlton Water Park and crawled through a burnt stubble field in my work clothes and went home on the bus looking like a car crash victim.

Wasn't it Nigel who was using a frying pan Tim, ideal as it comes with its built in pushing handle.

Yes I think that's right Roy, doesn't he call it his 'frypod'?

Pete, that Jobu design thing looks great although a tad pricey.

Adrian, LOL! You must be a sight/fright at times with your antics. However, the results are tremendous.

Ron, a full English breakfast might make you the wrong shape for mud crawling if the belly protrudes too much... ;)

I think shots from down low are great...as evident by the Postcards examples.... But how about a bit in between. I know I frequently sit or kneel on the ground getting as low of a profile as I can. This enables me to support the camera and myself by having my elbows rest on my knees or thigh. I am not prone on the ground all the way.....so while I still get a dirty butt, I don't have a dirty torso....

Nothing beats low level shots . It's the hardest to perform , but gives the best results . It's back-breaking , elbow throbbing and neck stretching , and as you get older you find it difficult to get up after a couple of hours on your belly ...|:(||:d||:(|
Low tripod or even a bean-bag helps to stabilize the lens without holding it .
Getting muddy or wet - is of no issue to me . I'll sink in mud to get a good shot . Just like Adrian said ...
Using a hide can allow you to get very nice shots while sitting instead of lying down .
Here are some examples of friends & myself - lying down + using a hide in different situations :

Attachments

• post-1262-1217675113.jpg
    post-1262-1217675113.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 124
  • post-1262-1217675069.jpg
    post-1262-1217675069.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 129
  • post-1262-1180818796.jpg
    post-1262-1180818796.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 126
  • post-1262-1207165588-1.jpg
    post-1262-1207165588-1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 138
  • post-1262-1217675122.jpg
    post-1262-1217675122.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 108
Looks rather uncomfortable in that first image Doc, all those rocks! The last shot is wonderful though!

I don't tend to lay down, although I have done so and did manage to get some pretty good shots of a Pied Wagtail in the grounds of the local cathedral. I made the mistake of wearing a new t-shirt though and got bird poo all over it! Note to self, wear old clothes when going out taking photos!

When I go to Norfolk next week I'll take some bin bags with me, just in case!

Love the shots of the hides....be careful or someone may haul you away as garbage...especially in shot 2!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back