• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image Sharpness (1 Viewer)

Cardamom Pod

Very well, Dr. Humorous Droll
I have a question about different image viewing programs. When I look at my pictures in Digital Photo Professional, in RAW, they look nice and sharp. When I convert them to jpegs and look at them in my picture library, the look nice and sharp. But when I open them in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, they look out of focus, and when I post Microsoft office picture manager edited pictures here, they look out of focus. If you go to my gallery, you'll find a picture of a song sparrow-the first one in my gallery. When I cropped it in Microsoft Office Picture manager (Henceforth called MOPM), and opened it in my picture library, it looked sharp. However, when I resized the cropped picture to post in the gallery, it looked out of focus. Is this something to do with MOPM, or just resizing. But if It's just resizing, why do all my pictures look bad in MOPM? Sorry if this isn't very coherent!;)

Edit: Also, shouldn't smaller images look sharper? At least that's what it seems like to me, I guess because there's less detail and the pixels are more concentrated? (If That's wrong, please ignore it.)

Last edited:
I see this was taken at 1/50 sec with your lens at the long end - maybe the slow shutter speed could explain the lack of sharpness.
BTW if you sharpen before downsizing then you often need to sharpen a little more after downsizing.

Last edited:
Roy C - The thing is, It was sharp before I resized it, so I don't think it was a problem with my camera. I guess I might need to invest in some better editing software at some point.

Resizing and resampling can end in soft photos with some poor software - it could be that it's blurring the photo to remove jaggies and artifacts caused by the resizing. I have to say that Microsoft Office is definitely the last program I'd use for image editing - why do you use that, can't you edit them and resize in DPP?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back