• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax ca35 Help (1 Viewer)

Matt Palmquist

I finally bought a ca35 to use with my k100d and 80ed and am having trouble getting it to work. I am not very experienced on the manual settings. I have it set on MF and on the AV mode but I can not take a photo. It is flashing av-- on the top LCD panel. Any ideas?

I thought I had seen this before and searched around some on here. I had the same issue with my sigma 170-500 and it was due to poor contact between the camera and lens. My ca35 doesn't have any contact bumps on the mount ring like all my other lenses. Should it? Seems like That is why I am getting the error.

You need to choose full MANUAL EXPOSURE on the mode dial, NOT Aperture Priority and just manual FOCUS. You then control exposure by mainly adjusting SHUTTER SPEED and to somewhat lesser extent, the ISO. If the pic turns out black/too dark then you need a slower shutter speed. If it is white/too bright then you need to increase shutter speed. If you can't get sufficient shutter speed to freeze movement, say 1/125sec minimum, with proper exposure, then increase ISO to ISO800.

good luck!

Last edited:
You select 'M' on the top left dial for full manual mode and then just change the shutter speed on the thumb wheel. Shutter speed is the only setting that you will need control of apart from manually selecting the ISO to suit the available light. What other settings are you trying to alter?

Paul.

Paul
It will not let me adjust the shutter speed. It acts like the camera does not recognize the adapter. It is not registering an aperture value so it wont let me use the edial to adjust the shutter speed. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back