• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ-150 Moon Shot (1 Viewer)

johnno

Hi all,

Here's a shot taken early this morning with the FZ-150,and a TCON 17 held against the lens(New Adapter hasn't arrived yet).

The pic was taken totally handheld,with Intelligent Zoom on,and EZ zoom set to 3mp.

No post processing at all except a little cropping.

John

Attachments

• P1020978.jpg
    P1020978.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 359
There looks to be a bit of shake coming through in that shot - I reckon if you use a tripod next time the results will be even more impressive.

There looks to be a bit of shake coming through in that shot - I reckon if you use a tripod next time the results will be even more impressive.
I don't doubt for 1 minute,there is a bit of shake,it was the first clear night here for weeks,1.30 am,and several home brews,nearly 63 years old didn't help either.

it does show just how well the FZ-150's Image Stabiliser works,I held the camera with my right hand,the Tcon 17 up to the lens with my left hand,and lent against the door frame.

Tripod, Definately the way to go though.

I could see the slight (and it is slight) shake too but it is VERY low for a shot taken handheld, especially under those conditions, so I didn't think it worth mentioning - without an adaptor to mount the converter I reckon tripod-mounting the camera wouldn't have improved the shot much anyway as you'd have had to hold the converter to the front of the lens and introduced vibration that way. I'd agree that tripods do make moon photography easier and give more detail but this shot is extremely impressive and probably a lot better than I could have managed in the circumstances. :t:

Thanks for those Kind words Paul,

I am very keen to try again,(with a Tripod)as soon as the DMW-LA5 Adapter arrives from China.......Very Impressed with the Camera though.

John

Definitely impressive. I must admit that I have not really started to use my camera. But it's good to know what to expect.

Robert,
I am quite sure you will be very happy with yours,when you start to get the feel for it.....It did take me a while to get used to the different settings Etc.

I also have the FZ-28,which I love,(hence the Tcon 17),and while the FZ-150 is not a Huge Improvement in Image Quality,it is Noticeably better,the extra reach is an added bonus.

For EG,Focuses Waay faster,Image Stabilisation is Incredible,I can zoom to 600mm,and shoot One Handed,Camera held up to my eye.

The FZ-28 has EZ zoom,the FZ-150 has that,as well as Intelligent Zoom,
so with EZ Zoom set at 5MP,the Zoom is 37.5X,with Intelligent Zoom also turned on, Zoom now becomes 50X.IE 1250mm,
Of course it is mainly just in Camera Cropping,but there is only minor loss of detail,and the results speak for themselves.

Hope you enjoy your new Camera,as much as I enjoy Mine.

John

Last edited:
Robert,
I am quite sure you will be very happy with yours,when you start to get the feel for it.....It did take me a while to get used to the different settings Etc.

.....Hope you enjoy your new Camera,as much as I enjoy Mine.

John

John,
Thanks for your additional encouragement. ;)
In fact it's exactly that I already have a camera that I'm very comfortable with, the FZ35/38. I had earlier exchanged my FZ28 for this model which was a much smaller change but an important one for my video affinities. So for most purposes I can as well use that one. However, when it comes to videos, that older model provides vertical smear lines whenever there is a bright source of light. So that's mainly why I got the FZ150. But also, there were a few recent cases when the FZ35 did not respond to my shutter or zoom activation. Thus, I need a "backup". As the FZ150 is just that much larger than the FZ35 to make it less comfortable/secure to hold in my smallish hands, I still feel more like using the older model. And I still need to fully read through the 200 pages of instructions. :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back