• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ v TZ series (1 Viewer)

Amarillo

I have used a Panasonic FZ38 to try my hand at bird photography over the last two years or so.

I've very much enjoyed it, but have now reached the stage where I feel that if I want to continue seriously with wildlife photography, I need a DSLR. But I'm not convinced I want to spend the money and always lug around a massive camera.

So if I don't go down that route, I'm starting to wonder whether I want to carry around my FZ38, having recently noticed that the zoom range of compacts has increased dramatically and the latest Panasonic TZ now has more zoom than mine. Clearly it wouldn't be as good a camera, but how much of a downgrade would this be? (bearing in mind that if I switched to that I would have made a conscious decision not to be attempting to take serious bird photographs but would still want to take the odd shot in some circumstances)

A couple of thoughts:
Do TZ models have a viewfinder? Cameras without are very difficult to use for bird photos, because finding the bird becomes so difficult when sun is interfering and direction becomes much more of a guess.

There is an option that does not necessitate quite that big a setup and is still better than the FZ models: GH2 (or G3, or the newest Olympus cam) with a 100-300 lens (2-600 mm equivalent reach). I have found that is a definite step up from the superzoom I used to have (FZ18). Take a look at the last couple of hundred shots in my BF gallery to see if that quality is something for you: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7427

Niels

having recently noticed that the zoom range of compacts has increased dramatically and the latest Panasonic TZ now has more zoom than mine.

What travel zoom model are you referencing? You can't tell whether a camera has more magnification by comparing numbers like "20x", since those numbers can be increased simply by lowering the lower end of the zoom range. You need to look at 35mm equivalent numbers, e.g. 500mm max magnification.

Jim

I see the new ZS20/TZ30 is rated at 20x vs. the FZ38 at 18x, but the FZ38 actually has slightly more magnification--486mm vs. 480 for the travel zoom. So the FZ38 still has more magnification, but the new TZ is close enough to be considered the same.

Preview of new travel zoom here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/31/Panasonic_DMCZS20_ZS15_DMCTZ27_TZ25_Launch

It lacks a viewfinder as Niels suspected.

Jim

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:
Do TZ models have a viewfinder? Cameras without are very difficult to use for bird photos, because finding the bird becomes so difficult when sun is interfering and direction becomes much more of a guess.

There is an option that does not necessitate quite that big a setup and is still better than the FZ models: GH2 (or G3, or the newest Olympus cam) with a 100-300 lens (2-600 mm equivalent reach). I have found that is a definite step up from the superzoom I used to have (FZ18). Take a look at the last couple of hundred shots in my BF gallery to see if that quality is something for you: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7427

Yes the viewfinder is something I'd miss..

Not interested in the GH2 or similar. If I wanted to make a step up, I'd go all out for a DSLR.

The point is I'm considering a step down and effectively giving up bird photography...but wondering how capable these compacts are as no doubt if I see a bird within close range I'd still probably want to have a go at a photo!

Well, you asked for some thoughts, and that is what I gave you. I just tried to point out that if you decided to continue with a bridge level camera, that the weight easily could be about the same as the weight for a m4/3 with 100-300.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back