• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazonian lodge or pantiacolla? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
In Cusco and looking like we can manage a raid down the road, these maybe best options. Going to bus it down. Weighing up the two, Amazonian is looking cheaper 85 vs 100us per person per night, but depends on which one gives best deal for a 4 year old. Pantiacolla also more money for boat.

Is pantiacolla worth the extra money given that:

1. I plan on birding trails on my own, so this need's to be allowed and practical
2. Are either better for canopy tower and birding immediate vicinity of cabin?
3. Are either noticeably more comfy for Ronnie and Nicky?
4. Although both have many possible new birds, my biggest wants are PW Trumpeter, B+Y Macaw and R+G Macaw. Ebird seems to show all are possible in Nov at both sites, but are they more realistic at one than the other?
5. Festive Coquette looks much better at Pantiacolla, but is it actually likely?

We then hope to stay a couple of nights at a lodge on way back up the hill, what's cheapest option for half way up, or at least somewhere different enough elevation?

Any words of wisdom from anyone who's been to either site very welcome, we going to hopefully visit their offices in Cusco when we get back from Machu P.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:
I was at boht places 2 years ago. Amazonia has the more comfortable facilities, accomodation at Pantiacolla is pretty basic (but ok). Birding was great on both places (it was my first trip to Peru, so I had no particular targets, everthing was great), I think no problem to bird by yourself on either of them. With family, I would probably stay in Amazonia.

Best place half way would be COTR-Lodge or Manu Paradise Lodge for different birds (not sure if there are more options around there), I don't know about prices though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back