• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chicken Hawks and Chickens (1 Viewer)

SeniorCitizen

I was ask a question about chickens and chicken hawks and did not have an answer so I'm asking here on this knowledgeable forum.

This person, knowing he and I were both farm raised and have been around chickens as kids and having a flock a large share of our adult lives ask,

" how does a chicken differentiate between a bird such as a Red Tail Hawk, Sharp Shinned or Cooper's being a threat and a bird of similar size or possibly larger or smaller bird being no threat" ?

The closest I've found researching is this link but makes no mention that would answer the question. We all know about their excellent eye sight but there must be something else in their sensory system telling the chicken to take cover immediately while warning others with audible scolding chicken sounds.

http://www.poultryhub.org/physiology/body-systems/nervous-systems-important-sensory-organs/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back