• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new Pentax PF-80-ED - a review (1 Viewer)

doug_newman said:
Hi All.

I am so in love with my new Pentax 80mm scope that I had to doa short review on it. Maybe call it Ode to my Pentax :hi:

http://sahotspots.myfreeforum.org/ftopic948.php

I love my Pentax very much as well. One thing that really gets me about the other high end spotter scopes is paying up to over $2000 (USD) just to do a magnification range from 15x up to 70x.

Why? Why?

When I shell out that much money, I want to be able to drop my 2.3mm Lanthanum eyepiece in there (the most powerful eyepiece on the market) and still get usable images.

To me, a smart shopper would just get the Pentax and then take the money he saves to buy a bunch of nice, wide field fixed eyepieces including some that can do magnifications higher than what other spotters can do.

This, IMHO, provides one with the highest ROI and flexibility.

Can Popper i agree with you on the pentax .I have the 65mm , 80mm & 100mm.
They are exellent scopes . Especially when you compare the prices .With the xw EP,S They are as good as any scope.
But of course they do not have the snob value of the Euro scopes. Of course the greatest thing about them is the vast amount of great astro 1.25 EP,s you can use with them.
Being a bit of an optics nut i have vixen, nikon, televue,& takahashi scopes & i rate the Pentax with any of them.
Brian.

Nice review and some very convincing pictures. I just received my Pentax 65 ED-A scope body yesterday and have been trying out some different eyepieces for it. I took some digiscoping pics but haven't had a chance to upload them yet. You may have just given me the motivation to do so. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back