• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any info on 'tetrad' studies? (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I'm writing a short paper on a study I carried out over a three-year period of the birds in a Surrey tetrad (2 x 2 km square). I recorded the species observed each month and also kept a list of breeding birds. There have been at least three other studies along these lines in Surrey since 1970--although one of them was only carried out over 12 months. But I'd love to know whether anyone is aware of any such study outside Surrey? It would be very interesting (to me, at least!) to be able to compare the Surrey results with those from other parts of the UK.

There has already been a major "tetrad study" carried out in Aberdeenshire, (Grampian) some time ago, for the breeding bird atlas, and there is one going on at present. Ian Francis of RSPB Aberdeen seems to be co-ordinating it.

Malky @ Westhill

alcedo.atthis said:
There has already been a major "tetrad study" carried out in Aberdeenshire, (Grampian) some time ago, for the breeding bird atlas, and there is one going on at present. Ian Francis of RSPB Aberdeen seems to be co-ordinating it.

Malky @ Westhill

Thanks Malky
I'm not sure that's quite the same type of study. Many counties have carried out breeding bird surveys on a tetrad basis. I'm looking for someone who has kept a record of birds present in a tetrad, month by month, for a year or longer.
Ken

Thanks for the info, Tony. The SK58 web site is interesting... as is yours. I remember seeing short-eared owl and a (great northern?) diver in Tatton Park quite a few years ago!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back