Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 8th March 2009, 14:07   #1
chris1971

The Waxwing

Just moved house to Consett,County Durham and was surprised to see a flock of birds in the garden which i have not seen before,the birds have been coming and going for about a week now,i have identified the bird as a waxwing and understand that they do occasionally venture across from EUROPE.They tend to land in numbers,20 was my last count,they are attracted by a tree with red berries on it as soon as they land they stuff as many berries in as they can and quickly fly off again,repeating this throughout the day.Has anybody had any experience with the waxwing,is it quite common to see this?
Old Sunday 8th March 2009, 14:27   #2
DaveN
Derwent Valley Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1971 View Post
Just moved house to Consett,County Durham and was surprised to see a flock of birds in the garden which i have not seen before,the birds have been coming and going for about a week now,i have identified the bird as a waxwing and understand that they do occasionally venture across from EUROPE.They tend to land in numbers,20 was my last count,they are attracted by a tree with red berries on it as soon as they land they stuff as many berries in as they can and quickly fly off again,repeating this throughout the day.Has anybody had any experience with the waxwing,is it quite common to see this?
Waxwings are a Winter visitor to Western Europe and there's been some sizeable flocks around the UK. A good sized flock will make light work of a berry laden tree. You're lucky to get them in your garden.

Derbyshire list 239-latest Manx Shearwater. Carsington Water list 196-latest Manx Shearwater. Wyver Lane list 154-latest Great White Egret. Willington GP's list 137-latest Waxwing.
Old Sunday 8th March 2009, 16:28   #3
chris1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
Waxwings are a Winter visitor to Western Europe and there's been some sizeable flocks around the UK. A good sized flock will make light work of a berry laden tree. You're lucky to get them in your garden.
Your right about about that,they have stripped the tree furthest from the house and have started on the next tree,they are quite difficult to predict as they dont seem to sit anywhere,the flock appears from nowhere and quickly takes as much food as possible and then fly off and repeat the process at different intervals during the day,got the camera at the ready for there return fingers crossed .
Old Sunday 8th March 2009, 16:50   #4
robinm

Hi Chris,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board

Great garden visitors

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th March 2009, 20:42   #5
Clive Watson
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Should also point out for the benefit of our newcomer that Waxwings are irruptive, i.e. some winters are much better than others. This winter has been pretty good, last winter was rather poor. They are also commoner in the north than the south and tend to be commoner in the east than the west due to the fact that they are reaching us from Scandinavia, so in Co. Durham, you're well placed to see some. Enjoy them while you can, they'll be off soon.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: