• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Theoretical Stacking (1 Viewer)

Sy V

Is there anything to prevent the stacking of a teleconverter (to increase focal length) with an extension tube (to decrease minimum focus range) in theory?

If theoretically possible would it be assembled, camera body-extension tube-teleconverter-lens?

Perhaps this is common practice that I've not heard of before.

Just thinking out loud and perhaps a little outside the box...

Simon

Simon, Why would you want to do this ? I thought the idea of a TC was to increase the focal length of a lens. To then add an extension tube would, possibly, decrease the minimum focus distance but to what end ?

Simon, Why would you want to do this ? I thought the idea of a TC was to increase the focal length of a lens. To then add an extension tube would, possibly, decrease the minimum focus distance but to what end ?

Indeed the tc will increase the focal length while the tube will decrease the min focus distance, ideal if you want close up shots of small subjects. I have done this in the past and it works well, though you do need to watch the DOF which can get very thin with high mags at close range. This shot was taken with a 500 f4, 1.4x tc and 32mm of extension tubes - http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/168078/ppuser/3294

John

Peter's summed it up perfectly.
Although I was just theorising - I never expected to see an example of the practice... and what an example too!

Thanks all.

Indeed the tc will increase the focal length while the tube will decrease the min focus distance, ideal if you want close up shots of small subjects. I have done this in the past and it works well, though you do need to watch the DOF which can get very thin with high mags at close range. This shot was taken with a 500 f4, 1.4x tc and 32mm of extension tubes - http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/168078/ppuser/3294
Oh dear something else to try out LoL cracking shot! now where did I put my extension tubes? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Brian

Tim Taylor uses the same technique for quite a bit of his macro work. Although I can't see you'd really need the combo of teleconverter + ext tube on something with a pretty good close focus as a 100-400mm, ext tubes certainly are a benefit in the right situation but both would result in a great loss of light and shutter speed.

I took this with an ext tube on http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/222117/ppuser/42340 but as you can see I had to brighten it up a little. If using ext tubes in Av you might want to adjust your exp comp to compensate for the reduced light hitting your sensor. Something I forgot to do. |^|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back