• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free Noise Reduction software? (1 Viewer)

I don't often apply any noise reduction, Cristian, but when I do, I use Nero Photosnap. It's not free, but it is part of Nero CD/DVD software that is often pre-installed on PCs. In fact I use Photosnap for all my resizing/Cropping/etc. You might have to look for it though, as there's not always a link for it on the Start Menu.

Thank you for the idea, Chris. I will check for Nero.
On the other hand, I'd like to ask: There is anybody who uses the Nose Reduction from Adobe Photoshop? (Filter/Noise/Nose reduction...)?

I have the Neat Image free demo plug-in for Photoshop. It works quite well but will only process a limited file size. It will cope with a file after it has been resized to post in the Gallery but not with a full size image where it will only process a section of the image. I have just updated my Mac at work and reinstalled all the software, and the latest version of Neat Image which I downloaded seems to work much better than the one which I had before.

Ron

Last edited:
first use xnview its totaly free and use the plugin :
Neat Image
Review:
Neat Image is a digital filter designed to reduce visible noise in digital photographic images. It is a tool for owners of digital cameras, flatbed and slide scanners; and is for use by both professional photographers, and digital image processing enthusiasts. Neat Image not only reduces the high ISO noise associated with image sensors in digital cameras and scanners, it can also reduce the film grain visible in scanned slides and negatives, JPEG artifacts of overcompressed images, and color banding, and at the same time makes images sharper. Neat Image is indispensable in low-light, wedding, sport, and action photography. Features include: Premium quality of noise reduction provided by the most advanced noise reduction algorithms in the industryNeat Image uses device noise profiles to make noise reduction custom-tailored to your imaging device. Neat Image works as a Photoshop plug-in and a standalone application Neat Image can be as automatic as you want it to be Neat Image provides exactly the amount of control wanted Neat Image v5 is fast: v4 is 2x faster than v3 and 5x faster than v2Neat Image is even faster on dual-core systems!

demo of neatimage is free

http://www.neatimage.com/
http://www.xnview.com/en/downloadwin32.html

I also use neat image, mine was the free demo and it handles large files including tiffs.
That's interesting Graham. I have tried mine again and it comes up with a warning that it will only process files up to 1024 x 1024 pixels. If the image is larger than that it will process only part of the image.

Ron

That's interesting Graham. I have tried mine again and it comes up with a warning that it will only process files up to 1024 x 1024 pixels. If the image is larger than that it will process only part of the image.

Ron

I suspect the difference is whether Neat Image is the stand-alone version, or the PS plug-in. I use the free to download stand-alone version and it handles any file size. Recommended.

I suspect the difference is whether Neat Image is the stand-alone version, or the PS plug-in. I use the free to download stand-alone version and it handles any file size. Recommended.
That is probably the answer. I have just had a look at their site and unfortunately it appears that the stand alone version is not available for Macs. :C

Ron

My Neat Image demo handles all file sizes too, but isn't the problem with it that you can only save the completed file as a compressed JPEG, not a TIFF or loss-free JPEG. This is why I was intending to buy the full Neat Image when I get round to it, but maybe I'll have to look at some of the alternatives mentioned here.

Most of those recommended so far seem to cost money or, when in free demo versions, have significant limitations.

UFRaw is free open-source software, and seems to work very well; it even has "dark frame subtraction" (which I haven't tried, mind you) ... go to http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ for more information and downloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back