• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 300mm zoom to choose (1 Viewer)

thornlv

I am looking at getting a Nikon fit 300mm zoom with VR, there are 4 options I might be interested in, I want it for a 'walkabout' lens on monopod with possible use with a 1.4 TC.

Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX NIKKOR
Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G VR AF-S IF-ED
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS NAF
Tamron AF 70-300mm Di VC USD Nikon

Anyone own these, or could anyone suggest which one to go for.

Cheers.

Vic

Can't advise on which one but I can tell you none of them will work terribly well with a converter, maybe for record shots only.

As I see you already use a Siggy 500mm that discounts my record shot idea so in short don't use any of these lenses with a TC if you want the best out of them. As it'd be an additional lens in your line-up why not just go for the one with the greatest zoom range.

Last edited:
You will more than likely get a better image by cropping than using a T/C
Alternatively just use the lens to its maximum capabilities, I managed quite well with an 80-320 before getting my Bigma, you just learn to work with what you have, you might miss a few shots but you will get that regardless of the kit you have.

Hi Vic,
I've got the Nikon 70-300vr and have been
very happy with it. There is no tripod collar
but you dont really need one. As for
TC's, doesnt work with the Nikon
but retains reasonable auto focus with the
Kenko pro 1.4, although as has been said you are
probably better off just cropping.
Have a look at my gallery, most pics up till last
december are with this lens.
Mark. D90 70-300vr.

Attachments

• crest1 (Large).jpg
    crest1 (Large).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 107
I own the 70-300 VR and shot with it for several years before just recently upgrading to a 300 2.8 VR. The 70-300 VR turned out some really nice shots and for the price is an incredible lens. You can take a look at my flickr (in my signature) to see some sample shots. All of the photos previous to 12/17/10 are with the 70-300 and D200 (transitioned lens with the Evening Grosbeak series).

I could convince myself that my Nikon 70-300VR showed a little more detail with a 1.4x TC than without, but the degradation in handling (slow, erratic autofocus) was not worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back