• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a GH2 (1 Viewer)

iGUEST

I'm thinking of getting a GH2 but am a bit concerned about the viewfinder not remaining live when taking a burst. Is it an issue in reality, particularly for flying birds?

Thanks

If you've ever used a DSLR, you will find it a bit frustrating. In fast burst mode the viewfinder blacks out, so it's guesswork to try to follow the bird.

However, you can set the camera to medium burst mode, which does allow you to track the bird in the viewfinder, albeit it at a slower frame rate.

The GH2 isn't really a camera for fast-action photography. Having said that, it's is a cracking camera overall and I find I use it more and more in combination with the 100-300mm Panasonic lens rather than taking out my DSLR gear. It's a wonderfully lightweight kit with good image quality and an excellent video mode.

Malcolm

Thanks for the reply Mal. I've been struggling to find one in a shop to try out, nobody seems to have them in stock.

Then today I found one in Curry's of all places. The problem was I could only shoot with it in jpeg and it was set to the 40fps burst. The card in it was a no-name one so I'm guessing wasn't fast enough to take RAW images. 40fps was impressive though.

The other problem was they only had the 14-42 lens and the whole thing was chained to the stand and they really didn't seem interested in taking off the shackles for me to have a proper play with it.

Cheers

My Friend has recently purshased one, she hasent metioned that problem and she has got some cracking shots already, its teamed with the 10-300 mostly.
I hunted high and low to find one for her, we also ended up at currys, they only had the one and it was hidden away in storage, she was allowed a good try before buying :)

Depending on where you are this might help you find one, although Currys is not now listed. Might be worth trying a different store with more helpful staff
http://camerapricebuster.com/Panasonic_Lumix_GH2_+_14-42mm_Lens_pc.html

In medium burst does it black out at all? The G3 did which is one of the reasons I gave it up.

Sean

Hi, Sean,

Sorry I haven't had the chance to reply before now. The GH2 does still black out momentarily in medium burst mode, but it does give you a chance of tracking the bird. In fast burst mode you really are working blind.

I would never recommend the camera for someone whose main interest was birds in flight, but other than that it's a great piece of kit, although not cheap when paired with the 100-300 lens.

I did try a couple of superzooms (FZ18 and FZ38) as an alternative to my DSLR set-up, but I was never really happy with them. The GH2 + the 100-300 is a nice compromise between, size/weight/image quality etc.

Malcolm

Thanks for the reply Malcolm. Interestingly the FZ150 superzoom EVF (wich is very poor compared to the G series cameras) does NOT black out in 5.5fps burst mode - I have had much more success with BIFs with this much cheaper camera than I had with the G3. Here's a low res sample.
Sean

Attachments

• P1020066-002.JPG
    P1020066-002.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
That's a nice capture, Sean. Wood pigeons are no slouch in flight. I think the thing that most put me off the two superzooms I owned was the abysmal viewfinder.

The GH2 viewfinder is far superior, although I still don't like it as much as the optical viewfinder on my DSLR.

Malcolm

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm going to go for an FZ150 for now and see what upgrades the GH3 brings when it finally comes out, I can always sell the FZ then to upgrade or give it to the missus!

Thanks

That's my thinking too iGuest. You won't be disappointed with the FZ150 (except for the terrible viewfinder and the fact that you can't save selection the smallest single focus area and have to reselect it every time you turn the camera on).

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back