• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aussie Birds (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

All these photos are from April 2012:

1) Scaly-breasted Lorikeet? Springbrook NP.

2) Are these all greater crested terns mostly young? Or are the little ones a different species? From near Fraser Island.

3) I know the terns are greater crested, but what about the Sandpipers & Plovers? Lesser Sand Plovers maybe? No clue on the sandpipers. Same spot as above.

4) From Fraser Island - a white-bellied sea eagle?

5) Also from Fraser Island - small crow? Torresian crow?

Attachments

• Lorikeet.jpg
    Lorikeet.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Terns.JPG
    Terns.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Sandpipers & Plovers.jpg
    Sandpipers & Plovers.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 81
  • White-bellied Sea Eagle.jpg
    White-bellied Sea Eagle.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Crow.JPG
    Crow.JPG
    353.9 KB · Views: 61
1) king parrot
2) crested terns (big ones) and little terns (little ones) plus a couple of waders of some sort
3) the terns are Caspians (note red bill). I'll leave the waders to someone else
4) white-bellied sea eagle
5) Torresian crow (the only species on Fraser island I think)

Agree with King Parrot in 1

big terns in 2 Great Crested, but big tern in 3 with red bill is Caspian. Small terns in 2 are mostly Little/Fairy (probably Little?)

just seen Chlid's post, agree also with 4 and 5

the plovers I've looked at in 3 look like Lesser Sandplover to me

Last edited:
big terns in 2 Great Crested, but big tern in 3 with red bill is Caspian. Small terns in 2 are mostly Little/Fairy (probably Little?)
I found a Fraser Island bird list and it only has little terns, no fairy. Because there are LOTS of them in the photo I would say they must be littles. Not sure myself how one would separate them from the photo?

also (for any wader experts), the waders amongst the little terns must be very small, so are they red-necked stints then?

also (for any wader experts), the waders amongst the little terns must be very small, so are they red-necked stints then?

I guess so too, but the Calidris waders in with the sandplovers in the 3rd pic appear to be too big for stints, so I'm guessing Sanderling for those??

Lesser Sandplover and probably Red-necked Stint in #2 and I'd agree with Sanderling in #3

I saw that, and there's another sort of in the middle of the photo (near the back), but I thought they were juvenile little terns. [I'm not a tern expert!]

Its got an all black bill and only a small area of white on the forehead ( too small for juvenile. Little ). Moulting to 'winter' longipennis Common?

Chris

Chlid, In breeding plumage Littles have black lores and a definite supercillium, showing as a white wedge. Fairy have white lores - at all times - and the white forehead looks squared off.

C

Last edited:
1) (Australian) King Parrot
2) Little Terns, 2 White-winged Black Terns and the few waders look good for Red-necked Stint
3) Sanderlings and Lesser Sand Plovers in the front - a few Greater candidates amongst the back group, but too blurry to say for sure. And the terns are Caspian as others have said
4) White-bellied Sea-Eagle
5) If Torresian is the usual corvid on Fraser Island, it's probably Torresian

1) (Australian) King Parrot
2) Crested Terns, Little Terns, 2 White-winged Black Terns and the few waders look good for Red-necked Stint
3) Sanderlings and Lesser Sand Plovers mainly - a few big-billed Greater also mixed in, and Caspian Terns.
4) White-bellied Sea-Eagle imm.
5) Torresian Crow

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back