• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Printer fault - help please (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

My Canon BJC2000, just three weeks out of guarantee period (typical) has suddenly decided to stop printing anything in black ink. If anyone is familiar with these, it has two ink cartridges,one colour (three colours) and one black. Anything in colour is printing fine, I have cleaned the head over and over, cleaned the cassette that the cartridges go into, replaced the ink cartridges twice with brand new ones (just incase), uninstalled and re-installed and zilch. Anything like a letter for instance, just comes out as almost a blank sheet of paper, you can faintly see some impression, but can`t really say it looks like the writing. If I take the cartridge holder with the inks in it and press it down onto a tissue, the black is coming through normally, so its not blocked, just won`t print. Anyone who has any advice please (apart from throwing the whole thing in the bin)

I've had similar problems with a different Cannon BubbleJet, had to replace the cartridge cassette, so that may be your problem.

Songbird, after you try Diane's suggestion, let us know if you are still having problems. Two quick things, have you re-installed the driver. (Delete the printer entirely, cold re-boot printer, then let your computer detect the printer and install the driver from your disk), and have you checked to see if there are any updates for drivers for that machine?

songbird,

Could be as Paul says - the cartridge holder need replacing. This is the print head and they do need replacing every so often, as well as the cartridges themselves. Your manual should tell you how often it is recommended to change it.

Thanks so much everyone for all the advice. I have had a look through all the help pages on the Canon website, but none of it helped, so I will try looking for new drivers next, and if not, it will probably be the cassette I feel too. I actually asked about this in Comet when I bought a new ink cartridge, but the bloke didn`t seem to know what I was talking about, or was completely disinterested I think because they didn`t sell them. Thanks again everyone, I`ll let you know ....

Does your printer properties have a utilities tab on it songbird? If it does, then you might want to click on that.
There is usually a head cleaning or nozzel check utitility. I don't know that a driver would be the problem if you are at least printing in color.

Update - boring but I did promise to let you know ... went into a computer shop in town yesterday with the print cassette (the print head) explained the problem, and the guy was very helpful, and gave me a complete explanation of how a bubble jet printer works, and what could have gone wrong. He had a machine which cleans the cassette, but he couldn`t promise that it would fix the fault, because it may actually be beyond repair, and this would cost me £12.50. So I decided not to risk it. Came home, and had a last attempt at cleaning it myself with a toothbrush and cotton bud!! Put it all back together, and couldn`t believe my eyes, it worked!! The black is now working, a bit blurry at the moment, but I think that`s cos its got a bit of water in there still!! So thanks everyone, but it seems that it was actually blocked somewhere, sorted I hope.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back