• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat ID from Al Ain, UAE, 20.11.2017. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
which Stonechat it can be?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_8973a.jpg
    DSC_8973a.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_8977a.jpg
    DSC_8977a.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 76
Not as easy as it used to be.

Beyond calling it an 'eastern Stonechat' you need better photos and ideally a DNA sample.

Steve

Not as easy as it used to be.

Beyond calling it an 'eastern Stonechat' you need better photos and ideally a DNA sample.

Steve

Agree. But "better" photos could be a misleading request. The photos are really good but don't show the details needed to dare an ID. Peter, do you have photos showing rump and tail?

It is an Eastern Stonechat. But there are several ssp. possible in the Gulf Region. To ID on ssp-level you would need to see more of the tail/rump...

There are some records of hemprichii (22, mostly in spring) but none of variegatus, and no records of any other subspecies/species. Generally speaking maurus isn't present between Nov and Feb/March.

Thanks Steve, Roland and Andy,
here is an other picture, I don't know if it helps!
Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• DSC_8948a.jpg
    DSC_8948a.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 49
Last image suggests that it's not variegata. Probably Maura? Quite dusky looking and the bill isn't all that small so perhaps stejnegeri can't be ruled out either.

I don't think the last photo shows enough to rule out variegata. I agree it seems the tail feathers have no white at the base but I wouldn't be sure. I would like to see the tail spread or in flight...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back