• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oddie on 'Today with Des and Mel', January 19 2006 (1 Viewer)

pigsonthewing said:
Bill Oddie is due to be on 'Today with Des and Mel' on ITV1, at 1:30pm on
Thursday January 19 2006.
whats the odds on 'oh ye great one' wearing his birding rigout rather than suit and tie ;)

matt

Ben Nevis said:
Do you really find him that special ?

I think the point is he is probably going to be talking about the new series of 'How to Watch Wildlife' (which starts next Tuesday) :t: .

Alex

He is a clever chap,he knows his wildlife and birds inside out.His programmes have a sense of humour,are easy to watch and very enjoyable.I think he has contributed greatly to the general publics know how of birds etc,and he does in his own inimitable way encourage people to know their birds and to be aware of the wildlife in general in this country.He is a GENUINE birder.which ,in my opinion is more than can be said for the sad group of people who harrass a rare migrant ,exhausted after travelling thousands of miles,and just needs a quiet spot in which to rest,and has to be flushed out of its resting place so that someone can place a tick in a notebook!!!.:C

Last edited:
As this is a forum,I believe this is to encourage debate as well as many other things and because the majority believe something,there is always a minority who do not agree.If I was encouraging a 10 year old to further his/her enjoyment of birds,then Bill Oddie would spring to mind.However,I cannot understand why some adult members hold him in such high esteem,to the point of drooling over his every TV show.In my opinion he is,if nothing else,patronising and speaks to his audience as though they are all novices in the field.As I live in a country that promotes "freedom of speach" I am entitled to my opinion.By the way "The Goodies" was crap as well.Anyone agree ? Or are you scared to admit it..!

pigsonthewing said:
Indeed. You have yet to explain, though, what is ""sad" about people holding an opinion different to yours.
any thing to do with bill in my opinion has got to be SAD SAD SAD

derekjake said:
any thing to do with bill in my opinion has got to be SAD SAD SAD

He has got many people interested in wildlife or helped them rekindle this interest (me included) through his TV programmes. As a result I have now joined the RSPB, Bat Conservation Trust and put up some bird and bat boxes in my garden. 3 million people regularly watched Springwatch and Britain Goes Wild. His profile helps get reviews and interviews which publicise these programmes and therefore get people interested in watching them and learning more about nature.

He reminds me of John Peel in that he has a very down-to-earth style and sense of humour. His programmes are meant to appeal to a broad range of people and are great for children to watch (REALLY important in my opinion). If you dont like him, simple - just don't watch.

Alex

Last edited:
I don't think you can fault his contribution to conservation. His BBC TV programmes have been very well recieved over the past few years and he champions RSPB and WWT. He was like a dog with a bone over the whole shooting migrants in Cyprus. I'm not so sure about all his rants in Gripping Yarns stand up but I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Ben Nevis, wise up a bit. The message of conservation is hard enough but without characters like Bill we would have a much harder job.
You can't knock the Goodies for good old slapstick and the Funky Gibbon! The lyrics were so deep man.....

Ben Nevis said:
As this is a forum,I believe this is to encourage debate as well as many other things and because the majority believe something,there is always a minority who do not agree.If I was encouraging a 10 year old to further his/her enjoyment of birds,then Bill Oddie would spring to mind.However,I cannot understand why some adult members hold him in such high esteem,to the point of drooling over his every TV show.In my opinion he is,if nothing else,patronising and speaks to his audience as though they are all novices in the field.As I live in a country that promotes "freedom of speach" I am entitled to my opinion.By the way "The Goodies" was crap as well.Anyone agree ? Or are you scared to admit it..!

As I said in my last said in my last post, his programmes are designed to have broad appeal and so, if you are experienced at birding, may not be 'advanced' enough for you.

However, I know loads of people ("novices" - we all have to start somewhere) who have learnt how to spot wildlife in different habitats as a result of watching his programmes. This personally gave me the 'birding bug' and encouraged me to find out more. I also find watching his programmes with all the beautiful scenery relaxing. I have never considered myself to be "drooling" or "sad".

Perhaps the new Wildissues channel is going to be more up your street.

Alex

I have just orderd Bill Oddie's introduction to bird watching, and the goodies. As my 15 year old son watched them for the first time over xmas and enjoyed them.
I have only watched birds in my garden before. I want to go out in the field and not have to learn the hard way like allot of people here had to.I want some good advice and who better to get it from other than the man himself.
As for Des and Mel. I will have to give it a miss just can't bring mysel to watch them. Even though Bill is on there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back