• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andy's field sketches (1 Viewer)

I was sure I'd commented on these, but I probably just gawped in awe!!! Needless to say - wonderful work and brilliant lessons in how to draw the most awkward of angles and shapes. Alive and vibrant.

I'm with Tim on these, I was sure to have left a comment, but I think it was more a mental note of "stunning" and to think of something better to say, can't think of anything better, they are stunning!

Hi people, not much opportunity to get out and sketch lately.
altough I did these the other day , Meadow pipit on a farm track
first page from the field . second studies done in the studio
from snaps I took.

Attachments

• meadow-pipit001web.jpg
    meadow-pipit001web.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 93
  • meadow-pipit002web.jpg
    meadow-pipit002web.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 95
Christ!

...do you know how good that first page is? You can tell it was the one done in the field by just looking at it, in fact the two pages are a model example of what sketching in the field brings to the observer. There is an indescrisable rigidness in the second page, particularily around the neck of the bird (which is nonetheless superbly drawn), that betrays it's origin, in that it was from a photo.(if this seems in any way a critical evaluation please know it is not, rather a testament to your rather monstrous talent and ability to draw exactly what is in front of you!)
A really wonderful page that Andrew. Looks like it is going to fly off the page at any second.....

Thanks so much for the praise. although sometimes things do go well
in the field there are times when I don't get the clarity I want in them
and they are looser. Tried sketching some distant teal a while back and
just couldn't get down on paper what I was looking at.
(Thats why I hav'nt posted them|:$|

So its one of those things that I have to keep working at I suppose.

Most of my drawing skill though was developed copying from referance Photo's
that I took and alot of captive birds to so that allowed me to develope my eye.
and sketching ability. I still find sketching small birds real tuff and I will
work from the studio using photo referance as it helps get to know a species.
I hope this does'nt sound like a cop out but I want people who find
working in the field really dificult to realize that its ok to use photographic
referance and to work from the studio. You can loose something from the
photo's though the trick is to find a way to hold onto the life and spark
of the bird.

There still is no substitute for being out there doing it. But be smart
early on ,take snaps while your out of the subjects cos you can look again
and learn when your at home . Sorry rambled on a tad there:t:

Actually - a very important ramble, too Andrew. It's not 'bad' to use photos as long as one is capable of doing as you say "find a way to hold the spark" - very, very true.
Oh - lovely drawings by the way (goes without saying, really).

Nice to read your 'ramble' Andrew - i find it useful to work from video I have shot, something I do alot when birding abroad as trying to see lots of birds and sketching alot of birds doesn't always amount to the same thing! I guess the video is great as you've still got the movement of the bird but also you've got the noises and calls happening which often puts me right back outside so to speak - and the added benefit of rewind and pause of course!!

I want people who find
referance and to work from the studio.

I reckon that hits the nail squarely on the head there. Nothing 'bad' in using your own photographic reference.
The important thing to realise is that sketching from live subjects gives so much insight into the character and behavior of the birds that when you look at your photos you are able (hopefully) to see where they need to be altered to allow for that character to come through. I've taken photos of birds that, although obviously accurate, don't even look like the right species! It's almost indefinable but through observation in the field you develop a sense of what 'feels' right to describe a bird visually.

Don't really know if I'm making sense with my own ramble there! Excellent drawings anyhow.

Mike

Nice to read your 'ramble' Andrew - i find it useful to work from video I have shot, something I do alot when birding abroad as trying to see lots of birds and sketching alot of birds doesn't always amount to the same thing! I guess the video is great as you've still got the movement of the bird but also you've got the noises and calls happening which often puts me right back outside so to speak - and the added benefit of rewind and pause of course!!

Could'nt agree more Birdboy, I too use video when I remember to
take it with me that is! Its fabulous way to understand the way birds
fly if your any good at tracking them with the camera that is.

People often ask me how I achieve my flying bird paintings and this is one
of the best tools to achieve that understanding with.

That reminds me, better start work on the flying Grouse painting that I
am on at the mo. So see you later will check in at the end of the
day.

that I took

Thanks for sharing this Andrew...and for your ramble on studio versus in the field...

It's incredibly helpful for aspiring and upcoming bird artists to know that most wildlife artists started off copying from something...whether their own or someone else's work.

Field work ( and to me that includes birdwatching as well as sketching ) allows us to identify in the mind's eye, what is normal posture, movement, identification or field marks and the overall behaviour of a bird as well as providing invaluable knowledge of it's usual habitat...

Over time we then 'know' because we can see for ourselves whether something we've drawn or painted looks right or not..

Hi guy's the Andrew Ellis Blog has now got a choice of 4 potential images that one of which will be
released for the Falconers fair in May so I would love it if every one could vote for their favorite . The poll is positioned to the right of
the page and the images are positioned underneath. Oh and By the way if you are leaving a message on the Blog click on the actual
comments word not the envelope else you will
just be emailing someone you know.

There will be further releases later this year of other subject matter so don't worry if there's
an image you like in the gallery it may just come out or you could suggest what you would like to see in print by
emailing through the contacts page on the site or leaving a message on the blog or telling me on here!

Look forward to seeing which image comes out on top!

www.andrewellispaintings.com

www.andrewellispaintings.blogspot.com

By the way here are some sketches I did at the weekend you will find the
story of day on the blog

I've also put some of Joe's drawings he did with me in the hide. I
think they are ace but I'm biased. There are more on the blog too.

Attachments

• Bowling-Green-Marsh-9th-Mar.jpg
    Bowling-Green-Marsh-9th-Mar.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Pintail-and-teal.jpg
    Pintail-and-teal.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 108
  • teal.jpg
    teal.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Joe's-Bird-Book003web.jpg
    Joe's-Bird-Book003web.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 106
Thanks so much for the praise. although sometimes things do go well
in the field there are times when I don't get the clarity I want in them
and they are looser. Tried sketching some distant teal a while back and
just couldn't get down on paper what I was looking at.
(Thats why I hav'nt posted them|:$|

So its one of those things that I have to keep working at I suppose.

that I took and alot of captive birds to so that allowed me to develope my eye.
and sketching ability. I still find sketching small birds real tuff and I will
work from the studio using photo referance as it helps get to know a species.
I hope this does'nt sound like a cop out but I want people who find
referance and to work from the studio. You can loose something from the
photo's though the trick is to find a way to hold onto the life and spark
of the bird.

There still is no substitute for being out there doing it. But be smart
early on ,take snaps while your out of the subjects cos you can look again
and learn when your at home . Sorry rambled on a tad there:t:

I have much the same problem. I find it hard sometimes (most of the time, actually) to get the detail I want and often I get loose drawings that are often more 'shapes' than anything.
I sometimes draw from photos, although I have to be careful so the drawings don't appear too wooden. Having said that, I prefer sketching in the field as there is that sense of accomplishment when you get a page full of bids you have observed yourself, in the flesh.

I do photography as well as sketching and I love photography and as well as my 'good' photos I also get 'record' shots for reference.

I am pleased that an artist can endorse using photos and not be of the John Busby way of thinking that drawing from photos, even for practice, is a no-no.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back