• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I know I am a lucky girl! (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Well probably no longer best described as a girl... Anyway, here is the view out of my bedroom this morning. The light isn't good....

Its funny how the waders arranged themselves by size today. They always sort themselves front to back by leg length, but this time they did it left to right to.

To the left, the Dunlin are massed, with a few Sanderling in them. In the middle its mostly Knot and Grey plover and to the right the Curlew and Oystercatcher. The Bar-tailed Godwits didn't play though, they seem to be all over the place.

Attachments

• left.JPG
    left.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 158
  • centre.JPG
    centre.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 164
  • right.JPG
    right.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 172
Nice pictures Jane. Do I get the feeling that its potential for birds was one of the main factors in you choosing your house? What sort of house list do you now?

With the waders I often wonder how 'the rules' for where to stand are established. Other birds do it too. I remember once noticing the gulls at Radipole Lake were arranged in size order. There was even an Iceland Gull standing exactly between the Herrings and the LBBs!

There you go again, rubbing it in! (Only joking - I'm just dead jealous!) Who needs rugby when you've got a scrum like that outside every day?

Jason

I bought the house 100% on its potential for birds. My selection criteria wer ...180° uniterrupted sea view and a garden with a potential for an Arctic Warbler, nothing else really mattered. I'd seen Hoopoe in the garden before I bought it!

The list is 185 for the house in 3 years. Most seabirds, most waders and a great selection of migrants. The numbers are a problem though. It takes concentration to find good calidrids in 5000 Dunlin! Two White-rumps and Pec so far. I have to have more chance than most at finding a Willet and I'm trying to find a Semi P plover. There are only 700 Ringed Plovers to work through!

The grading with waders is a combination of leg length and tenacity. I find both Redshank and Gey Plover are likey to stay put longer than their legs should allow....

There are about 15,000 waders and 4000 gulls out there. I'm listening to the Rugby. The sea is quiet though, just some Grey Seals for entertainment.

Now there's an attitude I can live with -- buying your house solely on it's potential for good birdwatching!

I can't imagine how wonderful it is to have these views from your bedroom on a daily basis! Yes, you ARE a lucky girl (and I'm a jealous one)!!

Hello Jane. In my student flat in Manchester I currently have a building site from my window and a singing tramp. My list is 6. They are Carrion Crow, Pied Wagtail, Starling, Blackbird, Lesser BB Gull and Siberian Blue Robin. Well maybe my list is 5 then! Oh no it is 6-just had Black Headed Gull!!!

Hi Seb, and welcome to BF. You've chosen a good place to study - or it was when I was there 45 years ago!!! I suppose there were birds around too - I was in Ashburne Hall, which is in quite pleasant grounds - but I don't remember being particularly interested in them at the time.

I like your third picture the best, the one with the oystercatchers. I also see some plovers at the bottom of that picture. Ringed Plovers? Or something like that?

Great pictures it kinda reminds me in April when I went to Benbecula a island Ive been to all my life in The Outer Hebrides. I went down to the beach and watched Oystercatchers,Ringed Plovers etc Oystercatchers have always been my favourite wader

I see peregrines virtually every day from my house (up to 3 birds present) they roost on a nearby gas tower,were ravens bred last year (and have been back recently) also had a med gull over my house last spring and grey wagtails are regular round and about (very common in towns now)

Greetings from Nova Scotia -- Hi Jane, -- like you, we bought our cottage on Brier Island for the birding there, although we've come to love the place anyway. As you know, I was born and brought up in West Kirby, and played at Red Rocks as a child - before I was a birder. Now I occasionally visit the UK as I have family there - I was last in Hoylake last April. Now I'm more into digiscoping (perhaps you've seen some of my stuff in the Gallery here), but I'd love to spend some time at high tide on Red Rocks or the Little Eye, doing that, some time.

Merry Xmas,

Richard Stern

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back