• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Potteric Carr (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Took a trip out to my most local reserve today. Unfortunately we had to be somewhere, so although we had plenty of time, we were always against the clock, and I don't relax well to a schedule!!!

Anyway, another cold grey day, although it got brighter during the afternoon.

Potteric Carr is relatively well known for its Bitterns, and there are at least two showing well at the moment, although we didn't see any on this visit.

The reserve was actually quite quiet, and it was hard to build up a list... but perseverence paid off, and one of the highlights was half a Water Rail (although I'm counting it as "1"!) as it slunk into the reeds.

Others were superb views of Jays at the feeders (never seem them come to the feeders before) and a Water Vole.

I took my camera, in the hope of getting some half reasonable record shots, and indeed, when Mr. Kodak returns my "handiwork" I'll post something to BF for id purposes - ie "Is it a Marsh or a Willow Tit?"

I've gone for Marsh in the birdlist that follows, but I'm open to correction if need be.

Until such time, list as follows.

Blackbird
Goldfinch
Black-headed Gull
Moorhen
Robin
Goldcrest
Grey Heron
Reed Bunting
Mallard
Coot
Dunnock
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Mute Swan
Teal
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Carrion Crow
Shoveler
Wren
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Kestrel
Gadwall
Greylag Goose
Wigeon
Great Tit
Chaffinch
Coal Tit
Jay
Water Rail
Marsh Tit
Green Woodpecker
Mistle Thrush

Last edited:
Hi Birdman,

Sounds a good list, any day with Water Rail and Marsh Tit is good . .

but . . .
another cold grey day
?!?
Glorious sun all day up here from dawn to dusk! Is it being in the Veil of York that made it grey?

Michael

Yeah... the forecast for the weekend was clear, but we never saw the sun yesterday, and it stayed mostly cloudy overnight (so no hard frost).

As I said, it brigthened up a bit, but probably no better than 50% cloud cover.

Re the Marsh Tit... I'm hoping beyond hope that any pictures I took might show that I saw both Marsh and Willow. Unfortunately, none of the birds (there were perhaps 5) decided to make any noise, so I couldn't make use of the supposed diagnostic calls.

I'm pretty sure that I got a good enough view of most of them to determine Marsh by sight, but at least one seemed rather heavy-set and a bit bull-necked... so maybe Willow???

Hopefully the photos will give me something to work with!

Last edited:
Hi Birdman,

Now you mention the uncertainty - I would regard Potteric Carr as more Willow Tit type habitat (alder carr, etc, often with just youngish trees) than Marsh Tit (mature broadleaf forest usually on drier soils). Here's to hoping they call for you next visit!

Michael

Thanks, Michael,

I'll bear that in mind when I'm checking up.

For the record, I've edited the original post for two sightings as we left that I missed off!!!

As Michael says, they are normally Willow Tits at Potteric Carr. That would be from the Willow hide I take it? I believe In focus were having a demo day today - we almost came as Keith wants some new binocs, but he wants to try some Leica and In Focus don't sell them.

We saw the Jays last week, but not as close as you did. We did get good views of the Water Rail though.

As for the weather - it's been glorious over this way all weekend. Oh and Michael - that's VALE of York!

digi-birder said:
As for the weather - it's been glorious over this way all weekend. Oh and Michael - that's VALE of York!
'Twas deliberate . . . the Veil of York is the bank of fog that sits in the Vale of York for most of the winter :-O

Michael

I got it, Michael!

Yeah, d-b, infocus "were" there - just a bloke in a van when we got there.

Had a 2nd hand Optolyth with a 20-60x going for £350, and a brand new Opticron something or other. The third 'scope, I blinked and it had gone.

Quite a view binocs, including some Nikons, but it's a scope I want (=need) to upgrade to.

It was the Willow hide, as you say... They've taken down a lot of trees since I was there last!

The Jays were superb, but they could obviously see us in the hides, and were a bit jumpy.

Keep up the reports Dave.

I'll be on the Derby/S Yorks border mid may on my way to the Lakes. Potteric Carr and Old moor (is that the one ? ) may get a visit ;) I'll have to be careful of people with broomsticks though

Michael Frankis said:
'Twas deliberate . . . the Veil of York is the bank of fog that sits in the Vale of York for most of the winter :-O

Michael

And you venture down here how often to see that? ;) I can tell you that we do have plenty of crisp, clear winter days dahn sarf here. You've obviously visited on the wrong ones!

Birdman - we noticed the butchering of all the trees from the Willow hide. I'm not sure what their reasoning is for chopping down so many trees, but it means the sun is in your eyes now for most of the day in that hide.

In Focus do quite well at their demo days. It does give you a chance to try the bins and scopes in field conditions.

Potteric Carr is in the Wildlife Trust's magazine this quarter and it sure is cut up by a lot of railway lines. Are they busy mainlines?

East Coast Main Line runs between Childers Hide and Childers Pool.

There is no need to cross this line.

The other lines are side lines, and much of the reserve does require you to cross on or two of these lines - hence the permit requirement - but the "blue" trail can be walked without crossing lines.

I suppose you and the birds get used to it. There are two small gravel pits at the local rail station and they are good for a few birds. So much that I will go there just to bird it.

The birds don't seem to care much, and as the 11.15 to King's Cross tears by, you get a chance to cough with impunity!!!

birdman said:
East Coast Main Line runs between Childers Hide and Childers Pool.
That's how I know what I do know about Potteric: glancing out of the train window to see if I can see anything as the pools loom briefly out of - Ahem - the fog ;)

True the Veil of York isn't always there, but the Vale of York is renowned for being just about the foggiest part of Britain - cold, stagnant air collects, sandwiched between the Pennines and the N York Moors & Wolds (also true that the worst part of the Veil is further north, around Thirsk / Northallerton)

Michael

Remember going for those Little bitterns at potteric carr, every so often a train would steam past in front of the hide, no wonder I had to wait four hours for a brief flight view!!

It was a gorgeous day the Sunday before last when James, Keith and I went to Potteric after visiting Old Moor. You're definitely choosing the wrong days to visit, Michael.

Pete, the broomsticks are the best way of getting over the railway tracks!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back