• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Northern Diver (1 Viewer)

Yes there have been one or two 'inland' bird over the years, I just hadn't seen any of them so apologies if I implied there hadn't been any. The few inland divers in Lancs are just as likely to be the scarce / rare BTD and GND as RTD, when the latter are much more numerous on the coast.

The Pine Lake bird actually became very difficult late in its stay because it was commuting regularly to the sea!

Stephen.

Great Northern Diver is probably my favourite bird in Iceland if I'm pushed to name one. It has the most exquisite plumage and come May their spine-tingling laughing call resounds through the still, bright nights in the countryside and virtually every fish-rich lake holds a pair, including two lakes on the outskirts of Reykjavík. BF member Gaukur has a splendid pair on his patch up north.

They're common enough in winter and indeed there was a group of approximately 170 at one location last winter and another birder counted about 270 together at an inland lake in October two years ago, I think the biggest group we've seen here! Some of that lot probably heads over to you in the UK, probably to Islay judging by Fifebirder's post!

Still waiting for my first Black-throated and White-billed Divers though (as is Iceland).

E

Relative abundances of Divers in Hoylake (just round the corner from Blackpool as the Diver flies)

You are twice as likely to see BTD as GND and 120 times more likely to see RTD.

Sometime I worry about how a***lly retentive I am ;)

Attachments

• bc.JPG
    bc.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 158
Well I think that's really interesting Jane, but the fact I have a seawatching webpage makes me an unreliable witness.

The highest counts at Starr Gate are when lots are flying past, and distant BTDs are not easy so I don't have this kind of data.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Yes there have been one or two 'inland' bird over the years, I just hadn't seen any of them so apologies if I implied there hadn't been any. The few inland divers in Lancs are just as likely to be the scarce / rare BTD and GND as RTD, when the latter are much more numerous on the coast.

The Pine Lake bird actually became very difficult late in its stay because it was commuting regularly to the sea!

Stephen.
A winter bird! Not a great sight. Better of seeing 'em in summer plumage!

Get thee sel of ta Scotland;)

CravenBirds

Have seen them in summer plumage off Blackpool (twice). I am with Spud on this kind of thing though, part of the charm is sometimes in subtlety. Picking them out on jizz in winter is rather more rewarding.

A winter plumaged GND close up in flight is a great sight, I stand by my guns!!

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Have seen them in summer plumage off Blackpool (twice). I am with Spud on this kind of thing though, part of the charm is sometimes in subtlety. Picking them out on jizz in winter is rather more rewarding.

A winter plumaged GND close up in flight is a great sight, I stand by my guns!!

Stephen.
"Summer plumage"! How far away distant?

Jizz! in winter? What is the difference then between the common "Loons" jizz and GDN?

CravenBirds

Re summer plumage - the one this May was admittedly too distant to assess how advanced it was. One in April a couple of years ago was very well advanced.

Jizz - we could be here all day, but the fact that for a fraction of a second I thought the bird which kicked off this thread was a Cormorant is indicative. The flight ID guide isn't great on this, but does point out some useful differences in head and bill carriage. If you can get hold of Anthony McGeehan's stuff on diver flight ID from Birdwatch that is the best summary I have ever read.

Regards,

Stephen.

I'd agree with Jane on the 'big feet' of GND as an ID feature in flight. If you're used to Red-throats then GNDs have verrrrry slow and heavy wingbeats in comparison, although Black-throats complicate matters - especially as I don't see very many.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back