• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stocks Reservoir Lancs (1 Viewer)

Paul Hackett

Went up to Stocks Resv to catch a glimpse of the wintering Great Grey Shrike that has been seen for around a month or so

3 hours later no sign ! but good views of two sika deer bounding across my path only to dissapear onto the woods

On returing to the car park i was drawn to the bird feeding table which was doing a roaring trade !!

common birds,BUT in the winter sunshine were great subjects to take pics of, then i was rewarded with 3 Great Spotted woodpeckers visiting the fat balls

3 hours later and around 170 pics taken of various species, the stars of the show !! see attached male and female GS woodpecker

Attachments

• Dscn7540GSWoodpeckerStocksResv071203.jpg
    Dscn7540GSWoodpeckerStocksResv071203.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Dscn7504.GSWoodpecker03StocksResv071203jpg.jpg
    Dscn7504.GSWoodpecker03StocksResv071203jpg.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Dscn7477GSWoodpecker02Stocksresv071203.jpg
    Dscn7477GSWoodpecker02Stocksresv071203.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 168
Nice pics Paul,if its any consolation it took me about half a dozen visits before I caught up with the Shrike that was at Stocks at the begining of the year.

There have been a couple of Great Grey Shrikes up by me recently I missed the one and didn't bother going for the second . But we've had a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at my local patch now for about 3 weeks , showing really well in a small copse of silver birches .
The annoying thing was that I got the Lesser Spot and TWO Great Spots on the same day but could I find a Green anywhere !!! ... no ! ... imagine , all 3 species on the same day . My next trip to my local patch a couple of days later as I pulled up in the car park a Green Woodpecker flew up from the feild in front , typical eh ?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back