• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Musselburgh Lagoons (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
I was off work today so I went to Musselburgh Lagoons after going to the dentists for a check up (all clear!).

There was a lot of works activity as they are re-excavating the lagoon closest to the river and, accordingly, I saw not very much. The Wigeon on the boating pond were noisy and there was a roost of Northern Lapwings and European Golden Plover on the scrapes. A few long-tailed Duck were offshore with small flocks of Velvet Scoter. I didn't see a single Grebe or Diver, the tide was out and I didn't like to stand on the trackway as it was being used by the huge tipper trucks carrying the fly ash. The haulier was called David Heeps, which amused me.

Meanwhile in the garden the tits(Great, Blue and Coal) are feasting on my black sunflower seed feeder which is now empty after being filled on Saturday. The Grey Squirrel has also being helping itself and the spillage is being cleaned up by an enterprising Woodpigeon.

David

Hi David,

The situation at Musselburgh seems to change almost every time I go there. I heard that the plan to build more golf courses and a training ground for Hearts was no longer going ahead after all but maybe they changed their minds on that again. I guess with the wind over the weekend the grebes and divers have moved to a more sheltered part of the Forth. Musselburgh often seems the best place to get good views of these birds and scoters though.

You will, Andrew! It's not unusual to have one knocking around Dawlish Warren in winter. I'm surprised this year's drawn a blank so far. You might have to wait a long time to get a cracking adult winter male, though.

Jason

Jason,

That is my masterplan, I will spend a few afternoons at the Warren looking for one. I keep asking folk if they have seen one and only one person has, at Brixham.

The council will be submitting a revised plan and have already began distractions. The local paper carried an article about how conservationists had blocked the expansion of the golf course. It appears, however, that the objections have come mainly from the citizens of Musselburgh who are objecting to the loss of public open space. The new training centre for Hibs and the golf course would deny them a place to walk fido and practice golf without paying for a drivng range. There may also be legal problems in that the area of the lagoons are to be open to all the people of Musselburgh and golf courses etc. will restrict access.

As for the birds I think that northerlies quite often cause them to shelter on the Fife shore. I'll go again later this week.

David

Andrew,

Keep trying!

Or better still take a trip up here. As Fifebirder says there's no where like Musselburgh for getting close up views of Slavonian Grebe, Long-tailed Duck, Velvet Scoter etc. There are always plenty of males here and on a calm day you can hear them call, as one was yesterday. It's an evocative call, quite beautiful and totally unducklike.

David

david kelly said:
Andrew,

Keep trying!

Or better still take a trip up here. As Fifebirder says there's no where like Musselburgh for getting close up views of Slavonian Grebe, Long-tailed Duck, Velvet Scoter etc. There are always plenty of males here and on a calm day you can hear them call, as one was yesterday. It's an evocative call, quite beautiful and totally unducklike.

David
Yep Musselburgh is a great place in winter. When I lived near St Abbs (Borders) I used to get the bus up to Musselburgh as often as possible. I used to enjoy the fantastic views of Slavonian Grebes, Velvet Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks and the odd Great Northern Diver and Red-necked Grebe!
I remember taking a trip up there one January (1998 I think?) and getting excellent views of a Desert Wheatear!

Regards
Tristan

david kelly said:
Andrew,

David
Just to prove what David says here is a poor quality digital image taken recently on a cold dull day from the seawall at Musselburgh lagoons. The image includes Velvet Scoter, Slavonian Grebes, a few Long-tailed duck & there was a Red-throated Diver which unfortunately dived just before the shot was taken!

Attachments

• Mixed-raft-of-ducks-&-grebe.jpg
    Mixed-raft-of-ducks-&-grebe.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 163
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back