• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scoter and more scoter (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

On the Prom today there was a brisk northward movement of Common Scoter, 400 in about 15 minutes close in. Such movement in this direction is unusual at midday, but all became clear when a fishing boat passed relatively close inshore in the same direction.

Boats other than very small craft are unusual so close in, and this one may have been adrift of where it was supposed to be as it soon tacked out to sea on a north western course. Clearly a large raft of scoter were in its path and they soon took to the skies. At one point I estimated c5000 covering about two miles north to south continually landing and taking flight again. This is easily the biggest group I've seen from land, though c30,000 are out there (as counted from planes).

It really is a fantastic sight, it is just a shame they have to be disturbed for it to be enjoyed from shore.

Stephen.

I live in hope of a Surf scoter too..but mine will have to be in flight. They are always too far off. Can't see the BBRC being too impressed with that!

Jane Turner said:
I live in hope of a Surf scoter too..but mine will have to be in flight. They are always too far off. Can't see the BBRC being too impressed with that!
But you don't need me to tell you that they don't have to be these days! I know it isn't rational, but I can't help feeling that a bird somehow gets devalued when it gets knocked off the national rarities list.

Jason

Jason,

At least Surf Scoter doesn't have a high escape risk, which leaves its value higher than most other wildfowl. Can't bring myself to go for the Martin Mere Red-breasted Goose, simply don't believe it is wild despite the sympathetic treatment on the news services / rarity photo pages.

Stephen.

True, Stephen. As for the goose, you're just as likely to be right (if not more so) than the news services. They usually prefer to give a bird the benefit of the doubt if there's the slightest chance of it being wild - unless it comes to bread (even though the BBRC pointed out years ago that this is not at all a reliable indicator of capitive origin!)

Jason

Is Surf Scoter no longer BBRC.. well I am out of touch.... and I didn't find one. Usually me finding a rarity is a guarantee it will be off the list withing a year!

I think a pedalo would be more in keeping off Blackpool!

It's bizarre, Stephen - our numbers are really down this year - biggest flock so far has been about 40 birds!!

Well Chris, looking at the recent Filey record that should entitle you to two Surf Scoter on a ratio of 1:20.

Hiring a suitable boat with a viewing platform costs an arm and a leg, and to be honest given how VERY skittish scoter are I couldn't live with myself as they wheeled round for half an hour or more.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Well Chris, looking at the recent Filey record that should entitle you to two Surf Scoter on a ratio of 1:20.

Mmmm, east coast seawatching records......

Nowt wrong with east coast seawatching I'll have you know. even got a glaucus gull yesterday:mad:)

Attachments

• Glaucus Gull.jpg
    Glaucus Gull.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 97
Stephen, weres the best to go seawatching in Blackpool,sounds like a decent place, a mate of mine used to live in the area and he always seawached off north prom I believe, also about the RBG I havent been either,even though its been at Marshside as well,seem to remember a bird around in the summer,probably the same one,cant see what a wild one is doing with pinks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back