• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bright orange bird? Watsonville California U.S. (1 Viewer)

tinatucker

Hello all. I'm a brand spanking new member! I was motivated to join after just seeing a bird I'm not familiar with sitting in a tree in a neighbor's yard. It had a bright orange breast, head and back with a black throat and black wings. It was about the size of a robin or a bit larger. I thought it was perhaps a Baltimore Oriole, but they have black heads. This bird was strikingly orange! Any ideas?

Hard to tell without a photo, but it sounds like an Altimara Oriole, but I don't know if they're out of range in your area.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. My bird book didn't have any of these birds (clearly I need to get a better one!)

Given your good guesses, and checking out pictures of these online, I suspect it's a hooded Oriole.

Thanks again and happy birding!

Welcome to the forum Tina. I agree that Hooded Oriole seems the best fit given your location and description. Definitely a beautiful bird.

Best,
Jim

I agree with Hooded Oriole. They are returning now and usually arrive a little before the Bullocks Orioles which should be here near the end of the month.

Hooded Oriole very common here in spring and summer. ( I am in Aptos). Haven't seen any this year yet. Good to know they are starting to arrive!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back