• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for blackbird fledgling (1 Viewer)

stellarose

Hi I have just joined as I really want some advice. Our neighbours and ourselves have been watching over a fledging blackbird that arrived in their yard (we are upstairs) 5 days ago. The mother and father are regularly feeding it, but we are concerned that if it doesn't fly soon a cat will get it. My 2 cats are being kept in. wondered how long it could be before it flies, is it likely to be damaged (hops around and spreads its wings which look okay), it may be quite young still, light brown and slightly fluffy wings.

Any advice, info gratefully received.

Stellarose,
What y'all are doing is the best thing, leaving the parents to attend to the fledgling, while trying to at least keep the local cats in. Typically fledglings that leave the nest early only need a few days till they are flying. Hopefully y'all's will take off soon.

If not, it may fall prey to either a domestic or wild animal, but at that point, we just have to write it off to nature. Thanks for caring though and at least keeping your cats in.

Hi stellarose, A warm welcome to you from Admin, staff and Moderators here at Bird Forum.
Thanks for being concerned about the fledgling, it should be up and about shortly with parental care. Keep us posted on the progress of the little guy!

Sad news

Screech said:
Hi stellarose, A warm welcome to you from Admin, staff and Moderators here at Bird Forum.
Thanks for being concerned about the fledgling, it should be up and about shortly with parental care. Keep us posted on the progress of the little guy!

Thanks very much for your advice. I'm really sorry to say that I awoke this morning to some major tweeting and immediately jumped out of bed and looked out the window to see a cat in the yard next door. I ran out and got the hose pipe on it and scared it off, but when I went downstairs to check on it the little bird was dead. We got really attached to the little fella in the last 6 days and what we really miss is the parents coming and going to feed it, with worms and my soaked raisins. It would appear that one of its feet was damaged so I'm not sure how much of a chance it had to get away. Never mind we did what we could and at least it wasn't my cats that got it. Can't believe how upset I am.

Welcome.

stellarose said:
Thanks very much for your advice. I'm really sorry to say that I awoke this morning to some major tweeting and immediately jumped out of bed and looked out the window to see a cat in the yard next door. I ran out and got the hose pipe on it and scared it off, but when I went downstairs to check on it the little bird was dead. We got really attached to the little fella in the last 6 days and what we really miss is the parents coming and going to feed it, with worms and my soaked raisins. It would appear that one of its feet was damaged so I'm not sure how much of a chance it had to get away. Never mind we did what we could and at least it wasn't my cats that got it. Can't believe how upset I am.
Hi Stellarose, and from one cat fan to another :clap: for caring enough to keep an eye on your's, during this important time for our featherd friend's. ok you have not had the best introduction, but it can only get better, and you will have a season of seeing plenty of young get to the adult stage. so sit back and enjoy what's left of the season, and your time on this great forum.
bert.

Thank you

bert said:
Hi Stellarose, and from one cat fan to another :clap: for caring enough to keep an eye on your's, during this important time for our featherd friend's. ok you have not had the best introduction, but it can only get better, and you will have a season of seeing plenty of young get to the adult stage. so sit back and enjoy what's left of the season, and your time on this great forum.
bert.

Thank you Bert, a positive note to end my sad day on. It is a wonderful time of year for new and young life. It just seems really odd not having the blackbird parents come by anymore, I hope they have other young birds to look after.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back