• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camo taped ED50 (1 Viewer)

I suppose a metal hood does afford the best protection in the advent of a mishap, but rubber's not bad. It takes a fair amount of force to collapse it and even if this happened there is still a heavy rubber ring surrounding the aluminum ring that threads onto the scope, to take the brunt of impact.
An aluminum hood cannot collapse at all though.

Very helpful, thank you both.
Like RJM, I've removed the foam cushion plug from the end of the case and have it separately attached. That opens the case for a lens hood.
The HOYA rubber hood for 35-200mm lenses seems like a good solution, rubber to absorb the hit but deep enough to protect the lens. Link here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/23164-REG/Hoya_H55RH_55mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Zoom.html
Any thoughts before I plunk down the cash much appreciated.

Kevin,
Thank you for the input and the link.
The thread issue is a good question, don't know the answer. Will look before buying.
A rubber hood seems safer than a metal one because the plastic scope body may crack before the metal shade will. However, it sure is bulkier. How well does it work in your experience?

A rubber hood seems safer than a metal one because the plastic scope body may crack before the metal shade will. However, it sure is bulkier. How well does it work in your experience?

Let's get our definitions clear. A rubber hood, when collapsed, is much less bulky than an aluminum hood. Both on the scope, and off. When extended, on the scope, a tele compatible rubber lens hood will be only slightly more bulky than a similar shaped metal hood.

How well it works is tougher to qualify as the little ED50 is remarkably free from flare without a hood. So, the hood just adds a little insurance against stray light -and- affords a bit of protection, IMO.

Last edited:
FWIW...A little input in the camo tape...I bought a roll of this tape,not for my scope,but for my tripod ..to give a little bit of better tactile feeling...Since I had some extra tape left, AND my bicycle handle was a bit worn,I thought .."Why not?"..so ...I rolled the tape around the bicycle handle bar,and it felt pretty good..so far so good...
I left the bicycle in the sun,parked in my back yard,for a couple of hours..It became VERY STICKY..The tape is VERY susceptible to heat,and the rubber back,although not adhesive ,becomes sticky ALL THE WAY through in direct , and moderately long ,exposure to the Sun...
for Now I am keeping the tape wrapped around the tripod legs,It gives a nice grip,..but I am aware that It can be problematic at some point ,and in some situations in the field...
Just Thought of letting You Know...

Last edited:
Kevin,
Of course you are entirely right, the rubber hood collapses into a much smaller space than the metal equivalent. I was just noting the flared design, vs the straight metal tube.
I'm glad to hear you found the scope to be pretty flare resistant as is. Still, a bit of extra stray light insurance and lens protection sound well worth the price.

There is camo TAPE and there is WRAP. The wrap is like gauze and has no rubber backing. I left the scope in the sun on hotel veranda in Okinawa for 3 days and nights and no issues you describe.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks for the info, links and caveats, folks. I like the idea of a rubber (rather than metal) lens-hood, given that the body of the ED50 is plastic...in the event of a frontal knock to the hood, the rubber would absorb the impact.
Also thanks re. the tape v. wrap issue....being a novice to the world of camo, I ordered some camo tape on fleabay. I´ll order wrap instead and give the tape to my son who can put it on his bike or something....:t:

I used Mcnett camo WRAP..self cling non adhesive..And It does have some rubber in it,Hence its stretchy nature....
RJM:
Was your scope left in hot ,sunny conditions?...The tape(WRAP),that I used, got VERY sticky after few hours In direct SUN,A hot afternoon...

Manuel, I wrapped some of this camo "wrap" around a stick and have left it out in the sun all day and didn't notice that it got "very sticky". It is pretty cool here today 77°F today but clear. I bought this from the same place as Rick, in fact it is pretty close to where I live. I will check it again after bit. My wrap is the new military green pattern and one side the pattern is more washed out than the other side that you would have showing out, the sides are both the same except this washed out color on the one side. I tried putting this cloth around my half a Military Fuji 7x50 objective end housiing as a sunshade and it worked for that.
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
We had some hot days [80°F+] and I left the wrap outside on a black item and I held this against my hair to see if any hair stuck to it and non did.
Steve

Steve...How are You...I still have my tripod wrapped in the tape/wrap ,and no issues either,..The piece of it that I got wrapped aroung my bycicle handle got very sticky in a HOT ,SUNNY afternoon..probably in the 90s...So if You expect extreme hot, beware stickiness..otherwise ,I really like the feel of this material,I even use it to wrap my elbows to scramble in the rock gym..

We had some hot days [80°F+] and I left the wrap outside on a black item and I held this against my hair to see if any hair stuck to it and non did.
Steve

I am doing good Manuel.:) I was thinking of putting a piece of this in the oven, but I don't think my wife would like that. Don't get all wrapped up in that stuff they might think you are a camo mummy.;)
Regards,Steve

Just a little more information

I couldn't see opening a new thread. I finally installed this camo wrap. I added two layers of foam like material, thanks to Looksharp's idea of added this. I had picture of doing this from start to finish and deleted by accident. I just unwrapped a little so people would get the idea.

Attachments

• Wrapping ED50 camo 003 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 003 (800x532).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Wrapping ED50 camo 002 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 002 (800x532).jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Wrapping ED50 camo 001 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 001 (800x532).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Wrapping ED50 camo 007 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 007 (800x532).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Thanks for reviving my 3yr old thread Steve! My ED50 is still wrapped up tight BUT the tape suffers bouts of "stickyness" to the touch. This stickyness comes and goes and does not seem heat/humidity related. Moreover it varies in intensity and is uneven across the surface. Macnett suggests regularly removing and washing the tape, but it is such pain to rewrap the scope that I just live with it. I eventually removed it from my Kowa 883. I wish Lenscoat would come up with a solution but maybe fieldscope covers aren't even on their radar.

Looks good Steve, and exactly the way I did it. Using the taped scope has been very effortless, the touch is soft and warm and provides perfect grip. I use a ball-head and grab the scope to pan/tilt.
But I'm fed up with the stickiness of the camo tape, it also seems to attach to my fingers when the weather is warm. So last week I received a Cley Spy case which fits quite tightly and may need some added shock protection. Good thing, front lens and ocular are better protected.
Downsides so far:
1) I haven't adjusted to the less grippy nylon material which causes worse precision of movements.
2) The end covers, especially the ocular cover, require some more time to detach.

Maybe I'll retape the thing in the future, but I'll look for a tape that won't get so sticky.

//L

Rick I have had this tape for a while, just takes me a while.;) I finally found what I wanted that was clean to wrap inside the McNett tape.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back