• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

52mm Opticron (1 Viewer)

I spent a great deal of time with the GS 52 ED over the last two days. I even had it right next to the ED50 on two occasions. My thoughts tend to mirror the post above. Will post a more in depth impression when time allows.

I am quite excited about this scope and have just ordered the SDLv2 eyepiece, which has wider FOV and greater ER when zoomed. I'll write more after using the new EP. I am eager to read what Frank D has to say.

So last night in the house I set up my Swaro 80, my Opticron 52 ED, and my newly replaced Nikon ED 50 and compared resolution by attempting to read fine print on a card taped to the wall 35 feet distant, in varying degrees of darkness and illumination, and while trying to vary the zoom the same on all three EPs. Both EPs on the GS52 ED, and the ED 50 are not the stock ones that came with the respective scopes, but are upgrades purchased separately.

Then I asked my wife to look through the three scopes. We both agreed that we could see no significant difference in resolution between the two little scopes. Of course as it became darker the big Swarovski had no problem at all, but at three times the cost it should have out performed the little scopes.

This weekend I expect to do some field testing. We are expecting rain and snow so the light should not be the greatest. It'll be interesting to see how the two little scopes compare.

This morning, cloudy day, a block away near top of a snag, perched a raptor, usually a Peregrine Falcon. I set up both scopes and saw a Coopers Hawk. Both scopes gave excellent views, but if I had to pick one, I think the red coloration of the eye was slightly more apparent with the ED 50. Hopefully more comparing this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back