• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (1 Viewer)

Να'σαι καλά :)

The Sigma with the 1.4x is approximately as sharp as the Tamron at 600mm

Both the D7100 and D810 work very well in good light.
In low light the D810 is better due to the better high ISO.

AF is very good with both bodies.

I had a lighter 105mm screw-on hood that I tried with the Sigma. Works well and is lighter.
For comparison the Tamron 150-600 hood is 90g, the Sigma 150-600 is 295g!
The new hood is only 135g so brings the weight of the Sigma down to 2700g (same as the Canon 300mm MKII + 2x III TC)

Also it brings the weight balance closer to the camera making to much easier to hold.

Also I am testing the Canon fit one at the moment with a 7D, AF works very well with it.

Both the Nikon and Canon versions dressed up courtesy of Outdoor Photography Gear!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 253
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 243
certainly looks a beast ,but how does the canon version perform, is it better than the tamron ,can you track b.i.f with it ,is it hand holdable for the b.i.f .taking into account our respective sizes how would mere mortals cope !!!

Last edited:
I only managed to really try the Nikon one but I do not see why there should be any difference with the Canon version.

Why don't you visit and give it a go? :)

I only managed to really try the Nikon one but I do not see why there should be any difference with the Canon version.

Why don't you visit and give it a go? :)

going to a in-store sigma day next saturday mic ,if they fail to turn up with one or both of them i might take you up on that offer .be good to meet up again

Can you post some pics please and what are your thoughts on AF speed and accuracy, for me they need to be seriously good to justify the weight if I'm gonna get one.

First 5 photos on my flickr account are with the Sigma:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87805817@N00/

AF speed is very good especially when using the limiter. Added advantage is the option to change the speed and accuracy with the usb dock and also the limiter range.

As comparison I would say I find the AF speed and accuracy to be at least as good if not better as the Canon 300mm II + 2x TC which was my favourite lens just before I changed to Nikon.

Comparison

I have been monitoring this site and others about this lens. Like all of us who are looking for the best walk around birding lens that gets us as close as possible. I have been very happy with my Tamron and have said so many times. The Sigma at twice the cost and more weight really need to be a big step up for me to sell my lens.

Here is a shot I got the other day in pretty good light of a Mallard

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15721471898/

Here is a shot that someone else got of a Mallard with a a d800 and the Sigma. The picture quality of the d800 is be better as it is a full frame. And it is not a direct comparison so hard to tell, but in my opinion there is no way that I would ever get a shot like this with my Tamron. Or is it just that I will never get a shot like that with a 7dii?

http://www.juzaphoto.com/galleria.php?t=1096679&l=en

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The D800 shot seems over-sharpened/over-processed to me to an extent where I would be ashamed of publishing it. I prefer your image with the tammy.

Niels

Interesting

The D800 shot seems over-sharpened/over-processed to me to an extent where I would be ashamed of publishing it. I prefer your image with the tammy.

Niels

Maybe there goes my bad screen at work again!!! I actually just today ordered a major upgrade to my lousy lap top screen. :t: It is funny because most of the shots that I have seen with the lens have not blown me away. They are nice, but not so much nicer. This shot looks great on my screen. After your remark I looked at it on my iphone and tend to agree. It is over processed. Did you check out the rest of the shots posted on that site with the Sigma?

Just talked to a Sigma rep today at a demo day and the other version of the 150-600 (not the sport) is due to ship at least in limited quantities the first of February. He said they intend to ship both mounts not one and then the other.
Steve ( who isn't buying any more camera equipment till after Christmas anyway)

comparisons

Just talked to a Sigma rep today at a demo day and the other version of the 150-600 (not the sport) is due to ship at least in limited quantities the first of February. He said they intend to ship both mounts not one and then the other.
Steve ( who isn't buying any more camera equipment till after Christmas anyway)

So has anyone, anywhere seen actual photos with this lens that make them think it is worth the extra money as compared to the Tamron? I know that I have read that it is sharper and seen some charts, but what about the pics? Any good direct comparisons from users who have both?

found this...

So has anyone, anywhere seen actual photos with this lens that make them think it is worth the extra money as compared to the Tamron? I know that I have read that it is sharper and seen some charts, but what about the pics? Any good direct comparisons from users who have both?

Not sure if this link has been shared. But here is at least a comparison. Different cameras and settings but at least the same targets at the same time.

http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/tamron-vs-sigma-150-600.html

Interesting! I think I can see slight differences in a couple of shots but with different settings it's hard to tell what makes the difference. Its like Alpha binoculars, I may think I see a slight difference but at what cost? The sigma at twice the money and two lbs more weight just doesn't trip my trigger but it seems that Tameron has tweaked their lens a little as the pictures appear better as time goes on. Oh well its just theory till after Dec 25th.
Steve

had a play with one today at a large photo shop based show in north wales today ,and having used the tamron i can only say this lens leaves it standing in the dust ,i used it in really poor light in a narrow back alley type street .and even got a fair amount of lock on's of flying seagulls that appeared and disappeared as they flew overhead .done a mini review on flickr for now link here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/15959438662/

the proof is in the pudding 1/200th sec hand held with nearly 3 k.g of lens that around 6lbs in weight to the yanks

vs Tamron

had a play with one today at a large photo shop based show in north wales today ,and having used the tamron i can only say this lens leaves it standing in the dust ,i used it in really poor light in a narrow back alley type street .and even got a fair amount of lock on's of flying seagulls that appeared and disappeared as they flew overhead .done a mini review on flickr for now link here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/15959438662/

the proof is in the pudding 1/200th sec hand held with nearly 3 k.g of lens that around 6lbs in weight to the yanks

I guess I need to just order one and get it in my hands and then decide for myself. I am still not overly impressed with any of the shots I have seen with the Sigma (especially since I got my new monitor!). Just as an aside, I recently purchased and have been playing around with another Sigma lens, the 50mm Art that I am using to take pics of the family with. It is fantastic. Extremely well built and crazy sharp. I am sure their rendition of the 150-600mm will be as well. But at twice the price and a third more weight it will have to be a significant improvement to be worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back