• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Rings, flash in the pan (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
I say the Golden Rings will be forgotten as quickly as the Steiner Peregrine. Remember the hooplah and the marketing? More flop than a trout on shore.

I disagree. Not because I think that the GRs are the greatest of binos. What you are forgeting is that Leupold's primary market is hunters. Many people will not purchase anything that does not have their logo on it. Leupold has the best customer service in the industry millions of loyal customers. The GR sales are only going to grow.

ranburr

I agree with Ranburr, Leupold has a very loyal following, especially here in the states. There known for their superb riflescope line and great customer service. Steiner is not.

Last edited:
Steiner, too, has a ferocious following amongst hunters and shooters. I see too many similarities in the market attempt to see success.

Robert Ellis said:
Steiner, too, has a ferocious following amongst hunters and shooters. I see too many similarities in the market attempt to see success.

That may very well be.Alot has to do with the optical ignorance that runs rampant in retail sales, sportingoods stores and optic boutiques. Yes, word of mouth has a lot to do with sales.People buy Zeiss, leica, swaro, without evening looking at them, because someone told they were the best.15 years ago the big 3 were the only 3,worth talking about anyway.But everyone now has caught up. Everyone has a p-coated bin. They can be had for as little as $250. Thats why you see more design changes than actual optical improvements.You reach a point of diminishing return.This in turn has lead to many good binos on the market and at price ranges for everyone.Its good for us,the customer,there is competition,it makes for better binos.With so many choices of coarse some will not last,but that doesn't mean its not a good product.

Robert Ellis said:

Steiners primary market is military and police. I have hunted all over the world and I am a member of several hunting and gun clubs. I can count on my hands how many Steiner binos I have seen in hunting camps. I can count on one finger how many Steiner rifle scopes that I have seen in those camps. Incidentally, those Steiner rifle scopes were made by Leupold. Steiner does not have a very strong following among sportsmen. I would say that Steiner would love to have a tenth of the huntng market that Leupold does. Leupold is known the world over. You go anywhere in the world on a hunting trip and they immediately think that an American has a Winchester rifle and a Leupold scope. Leupolds are quite common throughout Africa and and even europe.

ranburr

ranburr said:
Steiners primary market is military and police. I have hunted all over the world and I am a member of several hunting and gun clubs. I can count on my hands how many Steiner binos I have seen in hunting camps. I can count on one finger how many Steiner rifle scopes that I have seen in those camps. Incidentally, those Steiner rifle scopes were made by Leupold. Steiner does not have a very strong following among sportsmen. I would say that Steiner would love to have a tenth of the huntng market that Leupold does. Leupold is known the world over. You go anywhere in the world on a hunting trip and they immediately think that an American has a Winchester rifle and a Leupold scope. Leupolds are quite common throughout Africa and and even europe.

ranburr

Agreed.I like the Winchester part,nice

Robert Ellis said:
I say the Golden Rings will be forgotten as quickly as the Steiner Peregrine. Remember the hooplah and the marketing? More flop than a trout on shore.

Well, I've got a Gold Ring 7X30 P.Prism with the "set and forget" focus...which is good for "From Here to Eternity" and ideal for many hunting applications. I got 'em while living in South East Alaska and used to hunt with 'em tucked down inside my fleece and rubber rain gear that is standard attire for the region (it's wet). Ahem - You can tell if it's August in Southeast because it's lighter grey outside...(make that: wet, wet, wet!).

Well, they're about as bright and clear an image as you would want to find (for their day and beyond)...non-rubber armored...have those *!#* rubber fold-down eyecups...but all in all are a solid piece. I got 'em in about 1985, maybe a year or two later, and have used them with satisfaction and confidence for over 20 years...in very rugged conditions. They have never let me down.

Not what I'd call a "flash in the pan".

Their use, and my penchant for VALUE in my gear has recently led me to add to my "collection" through the purchase of a new Leupold: A Wind River Cascade 10X40 with the newer Phase Coating. These are as good a glass as I'll ever need. My 'in-store' side by side with the Nikon Monarch ATB 10X40 left the Nikon on the counter and the Leupold going down the road in my truck, itching for the woods. I can hardly wait for the fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back