• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8X43 DCF ED or 8X43 DCF SP? (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
I am contemplating the purchase of another pair of binoculars. I am considering the 8X43 DCF ED or the DCF SP.

They have identical specs with the exception of the ED glass.

Are the ED's worth another $300 over the SP'S?

Is there less CA in the ED's?

Mike

Is CA something that bothers you a lot? If yes, go for ED. With 10x, I would maybe more likely go for ED, though I have the Sp and they are fine for me. I just did not want to spend for a difference that I might not see.

Go for ED scopes, though. At 20x you see a difference.

I agree with Tero, regarding the Pentax ED. They are worth the cost if you can see the difference. I am grateful I can see the difference easily.

If you were choosing between the Leica HD, Swaro, Nikon EDG (which I have not seen) or the Zeiss FL we might agree those binoculars are within a few percent of each other in optical performance. One might have less CA such as the FL, another might amplify the color blue/green (in a small way) like the Swaro for the wow view, or the neutral view of the Leica HD might attract you etc. Having this many great choices is a wonderful thing if it does not end up torturing you.

The biggest difference between them (some might agree) is the physical design of the binocular, focus, bridge design, eye cups, case etc. If we average the price of these bins I would say they cost about $2000 (depending on what power you get) . All are top quality. All are worth the money in my opinion.

After the above list the best choice I have used and that I am aware of is the Pentax ED at about $1000. In my opinion (I am a 4 year birder who spends a lot of time comparing binoculars by eye while I bird). In this price range I would choose the Pentax ED over the Nikon LXL. To my eye the ED performs better. To my eye the ED glass provides a noticable advantage.

If the Pentax ED cost $2000 we could add it to the above list so we could discuss endlessly about the most miniscule details that each of us prefer and expect at that price.

But the ED cost $1000 and I have not seen any disagreement that they perform within a few percent of the uber glass™. In my use and comparisons with my HD's and from what I have read @ $1000 what is there to not to like?

To me this binocular puts the highest standard of performance within reach of many who are unwilling or unable to justify $2000 but would like the top performance. Im unaware of any better other option available at $1000. Some might feel the lack of brand status is a problem others may feel that a high performance bargain is a smarter buy than brand status at twice the price.

I am not suggesting you go out and make a purchase on my say so, but I encourage you to check them out.. Many dealers like Amazon and B&H offer a no questions refund policy via mail order.

I admit I prefer my Leica HDs – especially the eye cups (they fit my eye socket perfectly) .I love the physical package of the Leicas, the way they look, smooth focus and the way they fit my hands etc. The optics please me every time I pick them up or compare them to another lesser class of bin (ED excluded).

Had I bought the ED I would now find it impossible to justify upgrading to one of the Uber bins™ because the gain would be so small when compared to the cost increase.

My significant other owns the Pentax ED 8x43 and we swap bins for comparison every time we bird. Every time we swap we both comment on how outstanding the ED image is. The optical performance is very close to th HD. You could notice differences between the views – but they would be neither negative or positive. They would just be differences (in my opinion). I feel the ED view is very similar to the FL with a the advantage going to the FL

In a “blind” comparison (that might be a bad choice of words) I think many people would not know the ED was not a binocular costing twice as much.

If you want to spend $2000 to get a bin that you are horny for – by all means do so.. But if your driven to get the best price/performance ration, first take a look at the ED in an outdoor side by side comparison under various conditions. If you find the handling and physical package acceptable (as we do) you might find you can save significant money without sacrificing any performance. I see the sharpness, contrast and color at similar quality levels of the uber glass™.

Every review I have read agrees the ED is top glass at a bargain price. Its worth a look.

The fall migration is in full swing. Its time to use those wonderful binculars.

- Good Birding!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back