• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelling abroad with watercolour paints (1 Viewer)

Andrew H

Not sure if this is the correct place to pose this question, but I know I can count on some proper answers...

Im seriously considering taking my Watercolour paints on holiday with me this year.
Has anyone had any issues about taking their W/C kit on an aircraft....either as hand luggage or in the main suitcase....and what about Tubes of W/C paint...or will they need to go in the aircraft hold.?
I presume that cans of Fixative are a Positive NO for the hand luggage as well....
Any thoughts or useful links much appriciated people.....

I usually take my watercolour paints - I've got a handy Dowler-Rowney plastic 'case' that is hardy (the paints are 2 tubes of black & white and the rest being little cubes) and has everything and can fit a couple of brushes in it too. All the other bits go in a pencil case. I always wrap it in a t-shirt or something and put it into my main bag.
Yeah, they won't let you take cans on as hand luggage, although you can out them in hold baggage too.

I presume that cans of Fixative are a Positive NO for the hand luggage as well....
Any thoughts or useful links much appriciated people.....

There is a new non toxic fixative out called Spectrafix...they sell a concentrate that will meet regs, then at your destination you pour it in the empty spraybottle they sell and just add vodka or alcohol. I love the fix, no more toxic chemicals and works great on my pastels, does not alter color like some.

beats injecting oranges with vodka, to get past the alcohol ban at a rugby match....
Thanxs. BBB, I think Ive found somthing on a Civil Airline Auth website with a whole load of ticky boxes....

yes I thought of that BBB...the point is you buy the vodka where you land...of course then you have extra vodka to get rid of....hmmmm, get out the oranges.B :)

Don't know what make of paints you use, but look at the manufacturer's website for help. W&N and DR both have info about taking paints on aircrafts, and state whether they can be carried on person, in hand luggage or in the hold. CAA has similar info too. Useful to download the fact sheet and carry it with your paints on board. That way you should be able to point out the error of their ways to the airline jobsworth who makes a fuss without knowing the facts - like the one who confiscated my friend's oils whilst letting him take liquin on board! You should be ok with watercolours, though I'd keep tubes in a plastic bag for fear of exploding paints!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back