• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Mighty Midget 1 focusing failure and fix (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

My (second hand, as I'm in the US) Opticron Mighty Midget 1 twist focusing has just failed.

The outer portion of the EP rotates but is not screwing in or out to focus as it should.

I removed the rubber eyeguard to see if that was slipping (it wasn't) and can see that the collar around the EP is rotating but the EP itself isn't moving. It looks like this collar is held in place by three very small screws.

Digging out my smallest watchmaker's screwdriver I tightened up the screws to finger tight: one was quite loose the others not so much.

Fixed! The EP rotates and the focus works again.

Not sure I like the torque being taken by the friction of three small grub screws but that's the way it works.

Perhaps a touch of Loctite might help to keep the grub screws from rotating under their own steam.

Written up so it might help someone else fix a broken MM1.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back