• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non VR EDG 85 spotter (1 Viewer)

gulf1263

Hello all:
Has anyone had a chance to compare the new EDG 85 eyepieces and scope?
Just wondering how they stack up with the Kowa 88's.
Thanks
Art

Frankly I think the VR version offers the only significant optical improvement among all the top-end scopes and probably the ONLY reason to choose an EDG over the Kowa, Leica or Swaro. It is the only upside to what is a significantly larger/heavier scope than its piers.

I have the non VR version of the EDG 85 and the 20-60x zoom eyepiece. I can't offer a comparison with the Kowa. The EDG 85 combination is very good - bright, crisp and with little distortion. At the wide end there are no issues. At the long end you suffer a bit with distortion and a lack of light, but that is to be expected.

I found the price of the VR version hard to justify. VR is a very nice feature, but more important for digiscoping or making up for a lack of tripod support. I'm using a very robust tripod and gimbal head so that is not an issue. VR is a nice benefit - just a bit pricey.

I also have the Nikon mount zoom adapter for the EDG scope. There is a noticeable loss of light with the adapter (compared to the zoom eyepiece at the same magnification) making it difficult to use beyond 40-45x. I find a camera with a good lens is better even if I need to crop.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back