• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Church Norton (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I hadn't been to the Pagham reserve for some years and as I was in the area I paid a quick visit there today (29th Oct.).
I arrived at Church Norton at about 12.30. The tide was so high that you could not walk round the lagoon, but I was able to have a good scan from the point where the path ran underwater. At first sight there did not seem to be many birds except for a couple of small grebes (which turned out to be little grebes) and the odd great crested grebe. But soon I began to notice tight packs of waders roosting on the few remaining dry areas. A large proportion of them were grey plovers. After a while I noticed various bunches of waders taking to the air and flying off in an erratic manner--so I began to scan for a raptor. I didn't spot one so I began to scan through a distant wader flock. Suddenly a dark shape ripped through the flock which took off in an instant. I couldn't focus on what had caused the panic because it was flying too fast but shortly afterwards I finally picked out a peregrine flying low over the lagoon. I was able to follow it for a moment or two before it disappeared low over the beach.
The peregrine helped me spot various waders as they were far more visible in flight than in their roosting flocks. Dunlin, sanderling, oystercatcher, turnstone were all present... and no doubt others that I missed.
There were about 20 red-legged partridges inland of the church and also green and great spotted woodpecker.
I added curlew, greenshank and redshank at Sidlesham ferry, where there were also plenty of teal and a few shelduck.
I hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary but, nonetheless, a very enjoyable outing.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back