• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Baader zoom arrived today, It's huge. (1 Viewer)

giosblue

Well folks, for those that are interested the Baader 20x60 zoom arrived today.

Fitting it to the Optolyth was a breeze, no modification required whatsoever.
I can't try it because it's dark. I've been zooming in a wall light a couple of hundred yards away and I'm impressed. I can't for tomorrow morning to have a better look. Then I'm of the work at 9am ad back at 4pm, so not much daylight time then. It focuses from close, If it focuses to about 800 yards, I'll be one happy bunny.

Ron

Hi,

it better be huge - you know: wide field of view, decent eye relief, compact eyepiece size - pick any two!

I hope the baader hyperion zoom works as well on your optolyth as the opticron sdlv2 did on my kowa!

Joachim

Hi Joachim, Yes I hope so too. So far so good. It's a perfect fit which is a good start. A couple of things you may be able to help me with though. It's marked in degrees and not 20x etc. Do you know how the degrees relate to magnification/ The 24 is 20x and the 8 is 60x , what are 12, 16 and 20.
And also, focusing to infinity? Some people have had problems with this, what stops it focusing to infinity?
At the moment I have removed the 31.7mm snout and the eyepiece is flush with the scope body.

Why did you fit a Opticron on your Kowa? was it the price?

Ron

On the zoom

It's not degrees but mm of focal length
Divide your scope's focal length with that and get the magnification.
An ED 66mm usually has 400mm and a 80mm 600mm. So it's 16.67x - 50x with the small fieldscope and 25-75 with the large. I usually skip the 24m setting (I use a ES68 24mm there) and have 20-50x with me WO 66ED.
If the Zoom looks big to you, you should see the Ethos 21 or Nagler 31 or similar eyepieces.

Optolyth, like most birding scope makers doesn't give a specification for focal length. However, based on 630mm I've seen for the TBS-100 and the difference in magnification between it and the TBS-80 with the same Optolyth eyepieces, I think the focal length is around 420mm. If that's true the zoom range of the Baader on the Optolyth 80 would be 17.5x-52.5x.

When an eyepiece can't reach infinity focus it just means that the telescope focuser reaches its mechanical limit for distant focusing before an object at a very long distance, like the moon, has been brought to focus.

Henry

Sorry, I meant mm. I still don't understand why they do this . In birding terms we look at magnification. This is camera speak, with 85mm and f stops. I was just curious.It dosen't matter to me.

Last edited:
Hi,

Magnification = focal length of objective / focal length of eyepiece

If we assume the TBS-100 to be 630mm and we know the 20xWW/30xWW eyepice gives 30x on this, it has to have a focal length of 21mm. Since it gives 20x on the TBS-80 this makes 420mm focal length for the body.

Now divide this by 24 and 8 to get lower and upper magnification for the Baader - giving 17.5-52.5.

Why did I fit an Opticron SDLv2 to my Kowa TSN-3 despite the fact that it's a bit more expensive than the current Kowa Zoom?
I knew it was a perfect fit with just adding a rubber o-ring and would focus to infinity due to some other bf members who liked the combo. Also the Opticron is wider than the Kowa EP and has a field flattener.
I took the assembly to a store where I did get some accessories and the mandatory Kowa 30x wide EP and was able to try the current Kowa zoom and the owner and me agreed that I should keep the Opticron (which I still could have sent back to Amazon).
I also could compare this to some alphas while birding (so far Zeiss 85, Leica 82 and Swaro ATS 85) and their owners and me were equally astonished at how well this frankenscope worked...

Joachim

Optolyth, like most birding scope makers doesn't give a specification for focal length. However, based on 630mm I've seen for the TBS-100 and the difference in magnification between it and the TBS-80 with the same Optolyth eyepieces, I think the focal length is around 420mm. If that's true the zoom range of the Baader on the Optolyth 80 would be 17.5x-52.5x.

When an eyepiece can't reach infinity focus it just means that the telescope focuser reaches its mechanical limit for distant focusing before an object at a very long distance, like the moon, has been brought to focus.

Henry

Thanks Henry, If it were 17.5x-52.5x, i would be very happy with that.
I know what you're saying about focusing to infinity and I understand that when you have run out mechanical movement, that's it. Does how far the eyepiece is pushed in effect the the focusing?
Mine is flush with the scope body, if I cant get full focus, I can only move it further away, which is easy to do.
It was too cloudy in the UK tonight, on a good night I have a perfect view of the moon from my back garden, so I'll look forward to that. To be honest I'm not that bothered about focusing to infinity. I think I would be happy with 1000 yards.

Ron

Hi, Joachim your scope would be about the same age as mine. I remember when I bought mine it was a choice between the Kowa TSN3 and the Optolyth.TBS80/ED I think I chose the Opto because I already had some Opto bins that I was perfectly happy with, and still am.

So does moving eyepiece further away effect the focusing?
Mine focuses closer with Baader than it does with any of the Optolyth eyepieces.

Last edited:
Thanks Henry, If it were 17.5x-52.5x, i would be very happy with that.
I know what you're saying about focusing to infinity and I understand that when you have run out mechanical movement, that's it. Does how far the eyepiece is pushed in effect the the focusing?
Mine is flush with the scope body, if I cant get full focus, I can only move it further away, which is easy to do.
It was too cloudy in the UK tonight, on a good night I have a perfect view of the moon from my back garden, so I'll look forward to that. To be honest I'm not that bothered about focusing to infinity. I think I would be happy with 1000 yards.

Ron

For focusing purposes 1000 yards is pretty much the same as infinity. Moving the eyepiece back from the scope body shortens the most distant possible focus and of course shortens the closest possible focus at the same time. If more distant focusing is needed the eyepiece would have to be pushed further into the body. Flush is the best you can do.

Henry

Baader Hyperion Zoom is mainly an astronomy eyepiece. I used it on 12 different telescopes, each with different focal length. It has provision for use in birding scopes too, mainly Zeiss, Celestron and Skywatcher. Knowing its focal length it is easy to count magnification for each.

Well chaps, I've had a brief look through the scope this morning, very overcast and still getting light, so I've not seen it at it's best. However, I am delighted with it. If it were made by Optolyth is couldn't be any better.
It's a perfect fit, focuses down to 25 ft at 24mm at goes to infinity and beyond. Much better than the old Optolyth zoom and your calculations regarding the magnification seem to be spot on.
I'm not sure who recommend I try one these, but I owe you a pint.

I might have mentioned the Baader to you,since i used the same eyepiece in the Kowa 823...everything about magnification and focus distance has been explained so there you go!..The worst case scenario would have been a great view but not been able to focus past 30 yards..You are lucky,and i was too,to own a scope that allows this fine eyepiece to sit flush and reach infinity ..A few,or even one mm can spoil the performance slightly or completely.I say partially or completely ,because with a variable focal distance eyepiece,a zoom,you might loose focus at 24mm ,but reach infinity as power increases..It is very nice that you have infinity focus through the whole range...In terms of size..It is just a large ,solid eyepiece that feels and looks like a premium piece of equipment,and sure revives these superb,if a bit older ,fluorite scopes to a level of performance that is not far ,if at all,from the performance of top models fitted with expensive eyepieces..The Baader is not cheap,but is affordable compared even with premium or wide zooms offered ,not only by top manufacturers,but even by mid o'the range brands like Opticron ,vortex ,etc...
Still ,the 300$ question has not been answerer,..How Is the eyepiece attached to Optolyth mount?... does it screw in some external threads,or..?

Good morning Mayoyao. Still ,the 300$ question has not been answerer,..How Is the eyepiece attached to Optolyth mount?... does it screw in some external threads,or..?

If I tell you that, I'll have to kill you, lol Having said that, luck has played a big part.
It just so happens that this eyepiece is a perfect match for the Optolyth.
At first I thought there was no way it would fit, until I had a eureka moment.
I'll post some pics when I get home, I'm at work at the moment.

I think your right about about this zoom bringing older scopes up to almost the top level, especially if you have a 80mm flourite lens.
I was looking at a Wood pigeon high up in a tree about 50 or so yards away, all the leaves had gone and all I could see was this dark blob against the skyline. I zoomed in and it filled the scope, even though I was at max zoom and the light wasn't brilliant, I could see all the fine detail on it's ruffled feathers, and even the detail in it's beak and Cere and around the eyes. It wasn't the brightest image, partly because I was zoomed all the way in and the light was poor anyway. But it was pin sharp
I can't' wait to try in some decent light.

Ron

Last edited:
Just been out to look at the moon, the clarity is amazing, I didn't think this sort of performance was available from a zoom. Best £189 I've ever spent on optics. This has transformed my scope, it's superb.

Here's the pics of the Baader fitted to the Optolyth.

Woke today and it's foggy. Still not seen it at it's best.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Ron,

It sounds like the old Optolyth zoom must have been quite a stinker. The Baader is just doing what a good eyepiece (zoom or fixed) is supposed to do.

Now, just how did you attach it? I'll run the risk of being killed for knowing. ;)

Henry

Henry, In that case you must. be "dying to know"
first of all let me tell you a little bit more about it. The weathers not be too good the last few days, very overcast with rain at times, ( I sound like the weather man )Lol and it was foggy this morning. Even so I think anyone who had read this thread knows how pleased I am with it and the way it's fitted to my scope.
I had a look at the moon last night and it was crystal clear, so no problem focusing to infinity.
It fact it focuses down to about 25ft when zoomed out and about 35ft when zoomed in, this is much better than the Optolyth zoom.
This afternoon the sun came out and I set the scope up in the back garden, it was still misty at a distance, but my tree was bathed in sunlight and the conditions were good.
The Wood Pigeons like this tree for some reason,, nearly all the leaves have gone and they sat there peening themselves, I had a cracking view.
So how did the Baader perform in good light? spectacular is the only way to describe it. I could see every detail, the birds beak and eyes were pin sharp. You felt like you could reach out and touch it. I couldn't see any CA and the birds were high in the tree, with a clear blue sky as the backdrop. Fantastic.
Some of you may know I went to Martin Mere last to compare my scope with the best.
The Optolyth was equally as good as the Opticron with the fixed lens's, not as good with the zoom. So if you take the zoom out of the equation there wasn't much to choose between them.
The Swarovski was better with the zoom than the Opto even when the Opto had the fixed lens's fitted.
I thought the zoom on the Swarovski was excellent.
If you recall, I said I could see the very fine detail on a Black Headed Gull's beak, cheeks and eyes.
This is exactly what I am now seeing with the Baader
The first thing that stuck me about the Baader was the size of the view, it huge, like I said you feel like you can walk into it.
I wish I had, had this fitted when I was doing the comparison with the Swarovski, memory's a fickle thing, but I reckon with the Baader fitted, it's up there with the best. It has truly transformed my scope.

I think I've bored you for long enough, now it time to die.Lol

After all the comments on the forum about the Baader, I was really keen to try it, however when I opened the box I thought there is no way this was going fit. It wouldn't fit into the hole, it was too big.
Then I removed the nose cone, this left the lens looking like my Optolyths. The distance from the flange was the same, the only problem was it was now too small, but not by much.
As luck would have it, I had some rubber O rings which were exactly the right size.
By placing an O ring in the hole, (it rests just inside and very slightly proud) I tried to push the zoom, but it was too tight.
If you the gently push the eyepiece in with a turning motion, it seats perfectly and you can't pull out. You could if you pulled really hard, but it would never fall out. It's easy removed with a gentle turning motion though
So there you have it, by pure chance, the diameter of the hole and the diameter of the eyepiece, just matched the size of the O ring to make it a really tight fit.
There is some slight movement if you grab the lens and rock it from side to side, it's just the give in the O ring, it's of no consequence. I know what you are all going to to say. It's never going to stay in. trust me it will.

There is another way which makes it more secure if you want. Just wrap some insulation tape around the Baader. When you have the correct amount, you can screw the Baader in and the tape will make its own thread.
I have also tried it this way, if you use this method there is no movment at all and you would have to stand on the scope to pull it out. You can still unscrew it though.
The secret is getting the correct size O ring, or the correct amount of tape.
Did I say how happy I am with it?

Ron

Last edited:
It sounds like the old Optolyth zoom must have been quite a stinker.
Now, just how did you attach it? I'll run the risk of being killed for knowing. ;)

Well, weren't all zoom eyepieces stinkers until the swaro AT80?

As for the mounting - the Optolyth scopes use an M37x0.75 female threading in the body and the Baader comes with an adapter which gives it an M36.4 female thread (most probably x1 pitch) to fit Celestron scopes...
My guess would be a bit of plastic tube with the correct diameter (1.5"?) and let the female threads cut into the plastic or just an o-ring around the 1.25" barrel...

EDIT: seems Ron lifted the mystery while I was doing research... seems we were thinking along the same lines...

Joachim

Last edited:
Baader Hyperion Zoom is a common secret between amateur astronomers for years. My first good eyepiece and the last to go (when I die I'll pass it to my daughter, so it stays in the family).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back