• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope Lens Cleaning Equipment (1 Viewer)

John Bullfinch

John Bullfinch
Hi

I have just bought a 'top end' scope and I want to make sure that I use the best cleaning fluid and cloths that I can when cleaning the lens.

I have for the past few years used a Viking cleaning fluid on my Bins and used my reading glass's cloth. This has given good results but I am still a bit wary of using these on my scope, plus the cloth is too small for a 88m scope.

Please can you readers suggest the best cleaning fluid and cloths etc for this job.

Many thanks for your help

John

John - Micro-weave clothes are inexpensive and available almost anywhere. Those and most any liquid lens cleaner will do a good job. Do not spray on the lens but rather on the cloth. One's breath will do in a pinch. I keep cloths separate in ziplock bags to help maintain cleanliness. Salt water spray needs to be removed before drying on the lens, and any oily substance needs to be removed gently.

IMO there is no "best" fluid or cloths, just brand hype. The little Zeiss packets are handy. I seldom clean my lens and then only when they really need cleaning, and then with care. A camel hair brush helps remove any kind of grit that can accumulate - most of that migrates to the edges.

I know some people who believe a bit of rain on their lens will irrevocably damage them. I do feel sorry for them because I believe they are suffering from a form of optical mental illness.

John

Many thanks John for taking the time to post. Good to know there are no specific 'star' buys you must get for this job. I will get some of the cloths you mention and some more of the Viking cleaning fluid.

Thanks again

John

The problem with cleaning optics is grit, which transforms even the softest cloth into sandpaper.
Get a decent air rocket, use it and do plenty of rinsing before touching the glass with anything.
The cloths and cleaning solutions then come into their own.

Too often, the damage is done by well meaning cleaning rather than field effects.

John - the thought just occurred to me that there was a simple way you wouldn't have to clean your spotting scope's objective lens at all. Simply screw on a quality filter (UV, etc.) and leave it in place. Many older spotting scopes, i.e., the B&L Balscope Senior, have a coarse thread system on the objective end. But the newer ones will accommodate an array of filters.

Does it affect the viewing? I've tested in in all light conditions, and my eyes can't discern any loss of brightness. Perhaps users have tested these modern filters on their spotting scopes and can give comment.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back