• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filters (1 Viewer)

BenBirding

I just bought a 58mm Canon UV Filter for my Nikon D50. I don't know how well they perform, but I figured it would be better than Cokin and Promaster(bad brands pretty much).
Does anyone know if these work well, or do they cause image problems?

Ben,
I've never used a Canon filter, so I cannot vouch for their quality. I would assume they have a 3rd party manufacture them and slap the Canon label on them. Similar to other camera mfgrs that offer filters even though they are not in the filter business.

FWIW, Cokin filters are not "bad". They just don't make screw on filters. So you need a filter/gel holder. Promasters are likely re-branded filters also.

High quality, and fairly available, filter mfgrs are B+W, Heliopan and Schneider. Next would be the Hoyas and then the Tiffens (who make filters for Ritz under the Quantaray label). Stick with the first 4 mfgrs mentioned and you will be fine.

From the way you wrote your question, I just have to ask if you realize that the 58mm filter will only fit on 58mm lenses with threads. So the filter matches the lens diameter, and has nothing to do with the camera you are using.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back