• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

JTB et al
I have asked and Brian has kindly added the request to keep to the paths on the North Moors, to the Birding Today site.

Saw a small white on Saturday along the eastside. Also saw peacock and small tortoise shell. Did post this info on ze forum.

Elsewhere, common blue and comma.

Butterflies still didn't include the whites although there was a nice male brimstone, 4 peacocks and a comma. Has anyone seen an orange tip. Even a large white would be new for the year!

4 certainly are. The other 65 were spooked by a pair of peregrines and flew off south.
The remaining 4 briefly departed, headed in the same direction as the main flock but returned a few minutes later.

The 5th godwit turned up several days later.

I also understand the 5 Blackwits were still present. Assuming they were part of the flock of 69 this is now their 12th day.

Saw a small white on Saturday along the eastside. Also saw peacock and small tortoise shell. Did post this info on ze forum.

Elsewhere, common blue and comma.

Pretty early for Common Blue. I haven't even seen a Holly Blue yet and they're usually the early ones. Did see my first Orange Tip yesterday though.

Dave J has found a fem wheatear on the Transmitter field c10.50
While we were watching the pied Fly a Grasshopper Warbler called in front of the yew tree bench

Last edited:
firstly thanks to all concerned for the texts/calls about the pied flycatchers. was amazing to see them male and female. shots are record shots but never seen them before so lifer for moi (happy days) .well done dave j well spotted .:t:

1= Rob
2= male pied flycatcher
3= female pied flycatcher

Attachments

• rob uw 1.jpg
    rob uw 1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Male pied flycatcher  u w _4187.jpg
    Male pied flycatcher u w _4187.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Female pied flycatcher u w _4177.jpg
    Female pied flycatcher u w _4177.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 174
North Moors

This area has been worked on more than any other part of the reserve. In fact the work parties started here back in the 80's.
However we had never really worked on the eastern plantation, until this year.
When we opened up the Yew tree thicket, this has allowed sunlight in and created a warm, shelter patch full of insects.We have also judiciously pruned, coppiced and pollarded some of the larger trees. Where safe, we have allowed dead trees to remain in situ.
Over the last few months many of the Tuesday work party and several of us have religiously birded this area.
Ironically Crofty and myself were saying how attractive this area looked for flycatchers. Well done Dave J
Today the place was alive with birds both singing and feeding, in the hour that I was there this included:
male and female PIED FLYCATCHER, whitethroat, blackcaps several, willow warbler poss 2 singing , chiffchaffs, greatspotted woodp, song thrush, numerous tits and finches. Also outside of the plantation from the yew tree bench : cettis warbler, reed warbler, sedge and Grasshopper warbler also sang. Lapwing (2) and rook flew over and a kingfisher dashed through.
B :)John

firstly thanks to all concerned for the texts/calls about the pied flycatchers. was amazing to see them male and female. shots are record shots but never seen them before so lifer for moi (happy days) .well done dave j well spotted .:t:

1= Rob
2= male pied flycatcher

:-O:-O good banterB :)8-P

Today we found a bundle of fluff in the north moors plantation, it ended up being these.
We were in a dilemma as to what to do, but when they come and sit on your boot as one did. Then its quite obvious, that they are in need of help. One of the 4 was almost dead, lying away from the other 3. The Evesham wildlife rescue came and took them into care.

Sadly one of the cubs died overnight, the other one is still with us ATM. Sadly despite waiting in the area until dark and checking the following night we weren't able to find the other two.

If the remaining cub survives it will be released at the end of the Summer with other cubs (this won't be back at Upton Warren)

Gary
Vale Wildlife Hospital

1= Rob
2= male pied flycatcher

Nice! :t:

I'm hard of seeing too! 8-P

Sadly one of the cubs died overnight, the other one is still with us ATM. Sadly despite waiting in the area until dark and checking the following night we weren't able to find the other two.

If the remaining cub survives it will be released at the end of the Summer with other cubs (this won't be back at Upton Warren)

Gary
Vale Wildlife Hospital

Thanks Gary
for the feedback and the great work your organisation does.

Last edited:
This area has been worked on more than any other part of the reserve. In fact the work parties started here back in the 80's.
However we had never really worked on the eastern plantation, until this year.
When we opened up the Yew tree thicket, this has allowed sunlight in and created a warm, shelter patch full of insects.We have also judiciously pruned, coppiced and pollarded some of the larger trees. Where safe, we have allowed dead trees to remain in situ.
Over the last few months many of the Tuesday work party and several of us have religiously birded this area.
Ironically Crofty and myself were saying how attractive this area looked for flycatchers. Well done Dave J
Today the place was alive with birds both singing and feeding, in the hour that I was there this included:
male and female PIED FLYCATCHER, whitethroat, blackcaps several, willow warbler poss 2 singing , chiffchaffs, greatspotted woodp, song thrush, numerous tits and finches. Also outside of the plantation from the yew tree bench : cettis warbler, reed warbler, sedge and Grasshopper warbler also sang. Lapwing (2) and rook flew over and a kingfisher dashed through.

Managed to grab the Pieds between meetings today (an Upton lifer for me in 16 years of birding at the place!)-Would agree that the reserve was buzzing with activity - just shows what can be done with the right habitat management. Top work :t:

vern

1= Rob
2= male pied flycatcher

cracking picture of rob, vern well done.

Pied Flycatcher

Today's occurrence is the first for five years for this highly sought-after species. Prior to today there had been just 15 records of Pied Fly involving 18 birds (and only two records in the last 15 years):-

4th April 1980
24th July 1983 - Immature
29th April 1984 - Two females
18th April 1987 - Male (ringed)
31st July 1988 - Female - The Flashes feeding station
4th August 1992 - The Flashes
16th August 1992 - Sailing Pool / Hen Brook
24th April 1996 - Female - Moors Pool (east side)
12th May 1996 - Female - Moors Pool (east side)
24th April 1997 - Female - Hen Pool
15th August 1997 - Female / juvenile - Moors Pool (causeway)
18th August 1997 - Three birds - Moors Pool (causeway)
19th April 1998 - Male - Education Reserve
13th May 2005 - Two males - Moors Pool (east side)
19th April 2008 - Male - Education Reserve

Previously none had stayed for a second day; perhaps tomorrow may break that jinx ......

Last edited:
pics from today

pied fly, osprey x2, osprey with buzzard very distant and i presume chiff chaff.

Attachments

• DSC03784.JPG
    DSC03784.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC03807.JPG
    DSC03807.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03809.JPG
    DSC03809.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC03841.JPG
    DSC03841.JPG