• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hornbills on the philippines (1 Viewer)

There is a good chance of seeing Luzon Hornbill Penelopides manillae just two hours from Manila, at Mt Makiling.
Going further afield, ie Subic Bay then the spectacular Rufous Hornbill is possible. Visiting the other islands, especially Mindanao will give you a chance of the other species, a visit to PICOP near Bislig (4 hours from Davao) will give you a good chance of Writhed, Rufous and Mindanao (Penelopides affinis) Hornbills.

Enjoy!

James

Mt.Makiling is a good birding site indeed but just for Luzon Hornbill I would bet on Subic Bay, the species is probably more common there, at least much easier to see doing roadside birding. I've not seen Rufous Hornbill at Subic in several recent visits, neither heard it or found any sightings for it in trip reports. I would be grateful if anyone can confirm a recent sighting and very happy indeed for the species still to survive in the Subic forests.
PICOP is a good site for Hornbills indeed. Two other fairly easy ones are Samar Hornbill at Rajah Sikatuna NP on Bohol and Palawan Hornbill at St.Pauls NP, on Palawan right!

Good luck finding Hornbills on Philippines,

During my trip to the Philippines in 2008 I heard/saw Rufous Hornbills at two different sites around Subic: Hill 394 and near the (old) Cubi Hospital. Luzon Hornbills are still common around Subic and easy to spot from the road. Samar Hornbills and Rufous Hornbills are common in central Samar (San Rafael).

Attachments

• Rufous Hornbill2_Samar_110209.jpg
    Rufous Hornbill2_Samar_110209.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Samar Hornbill male2_Samar_100209.jpg
    Samar Hornbill male2_Samar_100209.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 158
We saw a group of four Rufous Hornbills at Subic in February this year. Last year we saw them on one visit and heard them again on another two visits.

Rob

Rufous Hornbill heard again on both visits so far to Subic, both times near 394. Plenty of Luzon Hornbills there and at Subic.
Palawan Hornbills common along the road to Sabang so far this year.
Great numbers of Writhed on two visits to PICOP on Mindanao and Rufous heard frequently but share, the forest lost there is horrific and I doubt there will be any hornbills in a couple of years time.
Rob

the last week in december 2009 had great views of two tarictic hornbills at subic,viewed from hill behind forest view leisure residences as well as coppersmith barbet,guaiabero,blue naped parrot,coletto and green raquet tail

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back