• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did I do good? 6x20 B (1 Viewer)

Dmbrown34

I found these 2 items at a thrift store today. Tried to do some research on them and all I learned is that they are before 1991 when they updated the logo. There are no scratches and dont look used at all.

Questions - What are they worth? I own them now and just want to know if I over paid or did ok.

How do you properly adjust them? Its a little difficult because they are separate dials, not one dial to adjust both lenses.

How do they compare to new Zeiss pocket binocs?

Anything else I should know about them? Are they too small for good birding?

Just got a bird feeder installed and the birds are starting to come over, mainly ground birds. I'm still on the hunt for some decent porros in 8x30, but have not found the right ones yet.

Attachments

• Binocs and Book.jpg
    Binocs and Book.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum.

I suspect you got a good deal as the price in Germany in 1989 was DM615,- or about €310,- in today's currency and prices have just about doubled since then.

They are probably not phase coated so contrast will suffer a little compared to the very best contemporary compacts and, although the individual focussing is somewhat inconvenient you could set it and forget it for your feeder. Otherwise, a 6x bin has very good depth of field and would probably cover <20 m to infinity.

The FOV btw was specified at 120 m @ 1000 m (360 ft @ 1000 yds).

John

I have seen a couple of second hand ones go for 150 euros, so I guess in the states it would be 150 dollars.

Compared to 8x20 or 10x25 compacts they have a larger exit pupil which should make them easier to use. For me 3.3 vs. 2.5 mm makes a marked difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back