• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-focussing Old Dialyts (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
No talk about HTs for a change...

The 8x30B and 10x40B Dialyts in leatherette and rubbered were issued in short-focus versions.

Does anyone have full specs on these versions? If so I would be grateful for them to get posted. I am trying to learn about the development of Zeiss bins since the first Zeiss Dialyt was issued in 1964.

No doubt this is ground well trodden all ready and any guidance on sources of info would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Lee

The earlier Dialyts were not short focussing the 10x40 was at least 7m.
When I bought my 10x40 rubber armoured Dialyts in 1985, they were being advertised as the new shorter focussing Dialyts approx 5 m.
They did two versions of both the 8x and 10x, leatherette and rubber armoured.
8x30 FOV 135m @1000m
weights 20.1 oz or 20.5 oz height 4.2 " or 4.3" width 4.1" or 4.3"
10x40 FOV 110m @1000m weights 24.7 and 26.8 oz h 5.8 and 5.9" width 4.5 and 4.7"
The second figures refer to the rubber armoured version
Ref nos of catalogue 52-129?2-e and/or CM-H-1/85 Too
I assume the 85 above refers to 1985.
Interestingly no mention of the close focussing distance
The older dialyts look to have the dioptre adjustment near the focussing wheel whereas the new closer focussing model has the dioptre adjustment at the other end of the centre hinge/bridge.
I still have and use the 10x40 is it worth upgrading at my age (almost 67)?

When I bought my 10x40 rubber armoured Dialyts in 1985, they were being advertised as the new shorter focussing Dialyts approx 5 m. <snip>

Yes, it is. You Dialyts aren't phase-coated, and the difference compared to a modern roof with phase-coating is *very* obvious. I've also still got a pair of 10x40 Dialyts I bought in April 1986, and they're just not very good compared to a roof with phase-coating - much dimmer, with lower contrast, and not really very sharp. I only hang on to them for sentimental reasons, they were my first "good" pair.

I also got more new birds with them than with any other binoculars I bought later, including such goodies as Long-toed Stint and Little Whimbrel in the UK ... :)

Hermann

The earlier Dialyts were not short focussing the 10x40 was at least 7m.
When I bought my 10x40 rubber armoured Dialyts in 1985, they were being advertised as the new shorter focussing Dialyts approx 5 m.
They did two versions of both the 8x and 10x, leatherette and rubber armoured.
8x30 FOV 135m @1000m
weights 20.1 oz or 20.5 oz height 4.2 " or 4.3" width 4.1" or 4.3"
10x40 FOV 110m @1000m weights 24.7 and 26.8 oz h 5.8 and 5.9" width 4.5 and 4.7"
The second figures refer to the rubber armoured version
Ref nos of catalogue 52-129?2-e and/or CM-H-1/85 Too
I assume the 85 above refers to 1985.
Interestingly no mention of the close focussing distance
The older dialyts look to have the dioptre adjustment near the focussing wheel whereas the new closer focussing model has the dioptre adjustment at the other end of the centre hinge/bridge.

Thanks for your info Robert. I had a 10x40B 1986 (pre-P coating) for 18 years and it was a stalwart performer, but have to agree with Hermann the P coated ones are way better.

Lee

Robert,
Thanks for an informed and experienced post. What in heck has age got to do with it? You sound totally full of beans to me, go for it man.

Of course it would be annoying to buy a new HT, and then croak the very next day. But that's the game we play!
Ron

Robert,having just bought the HT´s my first Alpha glass at the age of 67 I say take the plunge and upgrade.If I die tomorrow my purchase will be donated to a worthy bird charity so that youngsters may benefit and become seasoned birders like ourselves Kind regards Eddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back